2005 larson volvo penta 5.0 GL-E 3869254 fuel pump issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abde

Cadet
Having problems with the boat, this is my first thread so bear with me.The boat turns but wont stay on. i was looking up Don S. posts that it could be the relay so i changed that still doesnt run. I tried doing jumper cables and the pump works and runs so i dont think thats the issue. Thought it was my ignition switch but thats not the problem. got a new one and still doesnt run. The reason that i thought it could be the swithch is when i hold it in start the boat runs but when i dont hold it anymore it just shuts off. Please any suggestions and asap would be greatful thinking of taking it to the dealer today and dont want to do it and be charged alot would want to save money Thanks.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 2005 larson volvo penta 5.0 GL-E 3869254 fuel pump issues.

Your fuel pump is powered by the ignition switch during cranking, and then by the alternator while the engine is running. So your alternator isn't powering the fuel pump. If you trace the wire from the alternator to the fuel pump you can put a meter on it and make sure that is the problem. There is a diode in that wire that, when failed, will prevent the fuel pump from running off the alternator.

abde

Cadet

Do i have to rip the wire open to test the diode? or can i just put my leads against the ends of the wire just to test it. and i know that if current is running throw both ends of the diode then it is opened and its not good.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You can just test the wire at the fuel pump relay. Chances are you'll have no voltage through it.

abde

Cadet

and if the Diode is bad how and where can i get a replacement for the wire. Thanks for the reply skydiveD30571

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Your local Radioshack carries diodes. I don't think it requires a special kind but someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

abde

Cadet

Your local Radioshack carries diodes. I don't think it requires a special kind but someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

and is there a specific place where the diode is in the beginning or end of the wire.

abde

Cadet

You can just test the wire at the fuel pump relay. Chances are you'll have no voltage through it.

If i test it at the fuel pump relay, what current am i supposed to be reading to see if its good

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You're testing for voltage. Should be the same as on the alternator side.

nitwhit

Seaman

The reason that i thought it could be the swithch is when i hold it in start the boat runs but when i dont hold it anymore it just shuts off.
Before you start ripping open wires, have you checked your safety lanyard? That statement sounds like it's either off/not seated correctly or the lanyard switch is bad.

abde

Cadet

This should explain how to test the system.

Need Help!*/ 404854

when i measure with my meter do i put it on ohms or Vac. and also for the distributor cap do i just take it off or do i have to unplug it as well. When i did the test yesterday i did it on Vac and i got .003 for terminals 85 and 86 both ways. What does that mean. and ill redo the testing today if i did something wrong.

abde

Cadet

Before you start ripping open wires, have you checked your safety lanyard? That statement sounds like it's either off/not seated correctly or the lanyard switch is bad.

Its off and and i didnt take it apart to see if its bad. what do i look for to see if it went bad.

nitwhit

Seaman

Its off and and i didnt take it apart to see if its bad. what do i look for to see if it went bad.

The lanyard has to be clipped onto the switch on the dash or throttle to depress the button for the motor to run. If it is pulled off, the motor will only run while you are holding the key switch in the start position and the fuel pump on a carbureted Volvo will only run while the motor is running.

abde

Cadet

The lanyard has to be clipped onto the switch on the dash or throttle to depress the button for the motor to run. If it is pulled off, the motor will only run while you are holding the key switch in the start position and the fuel pump on a carbureted Volvo will only run while the motor is running.

Ya its clipped in and everything. should i take the throttle apart and look if the wiring went bad to the lanyard swithch? Ill check that and then ill go Into what Don S. is telling me what to do just waiting to see what he can clarify with my question.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ya its clipped in and everything. should i take the throttle apart and look if the wiring went bad to the lanyard swithch? Ill check that and then ill go Into what Don S. is telling me what to do just waiting to see what he can clarify with my question.

Why mess with the lanyard switch. It controls the ignition, not the fuel pump or the starter. Has nothing to do with the fuel pump.

Just follow the diagnostic.

nitwhit

Seaman

You can jump across the safety lanyard switch and that would be easy to test if you can get to the wires for it fairly easy and your symptoms sound spot on for that being an issue but I could be wrong. Search on here as it has been covered several times. Of course the best course would be to determine if your losing spark or fuel. It sounds like spark as the motor would typically run for a short while even if the fuel pump cut off due to residual gas in the float bowls unless yours is fuel injected and I don't think the GL models are.

Don, I suggested the lanyard since he stated in his first post the motor will run if he holds the switch in the start position.

abde

Cadet

Why mess with the lanyard switch. It controls the ignition, not the fuel pump or the starter. Has nothing to do with the fuel pump.

Just follow the diagnostic.[/

Can you check out post 12 where i asked you a few questions to see if im doing something wrong

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

when i measure with my meter do i put it on ohms or Vac. and also for the distributor cap do i just take it off or do i have to unplug it as well. When i did the test yesterday i did it on Vac and i got .003 for terminals 85 and 86 both ways. What does that mean. and ill redo the testing today if i did something wrong.

Ohms setting measures resistance. Not worth much here. Vac is AC volts. You boat has a DC electrical system so of course you won't get a reading on Vac. You want to measure DC volts.

You don't have to take the distributor cap off, not sure of where you got that from.

abde

Cadet

Ohms setting measures resistance. Not worth much here. Vac is AC volts. You boat has a DC electrical system so of course you won't get a reading on Vac. You want to measure DC volts.

You don't have to take the distributor cap off, not sure of where you got that from.

I got that in my prevouis comments of Don S on how to test my Fuse pump relay box. But thanks ill measure it in Dc and i will let you know what i get.

Status
Not open for further replies.