Larson bowrider with a Volvo Penta 3.0 GLM-A starts but does not stay running

nitinsonawane

Recruit
Hi,

Hope folks have some advice for me with a Volvo Penta engine that refuses to run.

We had a big storm come by new england a couple of weeks ago. While I had the foresight of taking the boat out of the water, I did not think to remove the boat plug. As a result, plenty of water accumulated in the bilge.

The next mistake I made was to put the boat in the water without checking the bilge first. The boat started up on first crank and then ran for several minutes while I made it out a hundred yards or so from the boat ramp. The engine then died. I then realized the water build up and ran the bilge pump until the water was mostly out. The engine then started up again, ran for 15 seconds or so and then died. After getting towed to the dock, tried again. Same result - starts up, the engine revs and then dies. That is how it is now.

One thought is that the water got into the fuel pump/filter. This is quite likely given how low it sits. Maybe replacing the filter would help. Another friend suggested maybe there is water in the fuel now which entails emptying the tank altogether and getting new fuel in it. I dont have a water separating filter installed and perhaps one is due now.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
NS.

PS: Also, where do I purchase the fuel filter, fuel-separating filter, etc? Having a tough time locating it on iboats.com.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Larson bowrider with a Volvo Penta 3.0 GLM-A starts but does not stay running

Turn the key to the run position and see if you have power on the purple wire of your coil.

For parts, look just above your original post. On the left, click on engine parts for aftermarket and OEM parts. For your fuel filter, look on the right and click on the fuel system icon.

nitinsonawane

Recruit
Re: Larson bowrider with a Volvo Penta 3.0 GLM-A starts but does not stay running

Hi Don,

Appreciate the reply. Might sound like a n00b question, but what coil am I looking for? In the engine compartment? Will take a look tomorrow.

Also, may I ask what this will indicate?

Best,
NS

Turn the key to the run position and see if you have power on the purple wire of your coil.

For parts, look just above your original post. On the left, click on engine parts for aftermarket and OEM parts. For your fuel filter, look on the right and click on the fuel system icon.

Don S

You are looking for the ignition coil.

The test will tell if you have power from the ignition switch to the coil to power the ignition.

nitinsonawane

Recruit

Hi Don,

The engine starts up and runs for several seconds. It then sputters and dies. Would this indicate that there is power to the ignition coil?

You are looking for the ignition coil.

The test will tell if you have power from the ignition switch to the coil to power the ignition.

Don S

Hi Don,

The engine starts up and runs for several seconds. It then sputters and dies. Would this indicate that there is power to the ignition coil?

It indicates there is power for a while, but not if there is power to it when it dies.

How much is "several" second? 5-10-15 ??? It makes a difference.

nitinsonawane

Recruit

3-4 seconds and sometimes maybe 5-6 seconds. Not longer than that.

It indicates there is power for a while, but not if there is power to it when it dies.

How much is "several" second? 5-10-15 ??? It makes a difference.

claps

Cadet

Hello,

Your alternator work correctly ? maybe it doesn't work, no power no ignition, are you see de fuse ?

(sorry for my English)

bye

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

when it sputters and then dies i think its a fuel related problem, when you loose ignition it should die instantly like switching the ignition key off.

nitinsonawane

Recruit

That's what I was thinking too.

My current theory is that there is likely water in the fuel and the fuel filter (a ceramic water separating type) is not good enough to separate the water.

IIRC, in another post Don had suggested that there shouldnt be a single boat out there without a water-separating filter. Infact my boat has been sitting for several weeks now and thats probably the case.

when it sputters and then dies i think its a fuel related problem, when you loose ignition it should die instantly like switching the ignition key off.