Volvo Penta 4.3 elec fuel pump cuts on and off

Ahoy Floyd

Recruit
Hello,
I have read quite a few posts here about the VP elec fuel pumps, but haven't found a similar problem to mine.

I had problems with the engine stalling due to the lack of fuel. I know this because when it happens the carb is empty.
I have made the jumper wire and plugged it into the relay block per Don S's instructions. The fuel pump will turn on, but then turn off. if I wiggle the wire to it, or push/pull the connector it will kick on then off. it seems like the top part of the fuel pump that the wires plug into has a loose connection. The engine runs fine as long as the pump is running.

I have attached Don's diagram with markups per my problem.

Do I need a new fuel pump or can this be fixed?

Thanks in advance.

Floyd

Attachments

• VP fuel pump.pdf
    164 KB · Views: 1

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Volvo Penta 4.3 elec fuel pump cuts on and off

What's the full model or serial number of your engine? There are more than several different 4.3 models that have been made.

By the way, the fuel pump issues you have read about are in reference to the high pressure fuel pump used on EFI engines. Your carbed engine doesn't have one of those.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sounds like it's time for a new connector. I remember seeing where you can buy new pig tails, just don't remember where that was.

Ahoy Floyd

Recruit

Sounds like it's time for a new connector. I remember seeing where you can buy new pig tails, just don't remember where that was.

I'm pretty sure its not the pigtail as I have checked it. It has 12v constantly while the engine is running, even if I wiggle it around.
I really think its the top part of the fuel pump that the pigtail clips into that is breaking the current. Does this piece come off the pump?

Also, does the pump run constantly while the engine is running?

Thanks,
Floyd

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class

Floyd,

The plastic clip that goes on top of the fuel pump does not come off the fuel pump. Sorry you will have to buy a new one.

Assuming you have a 4.3GL, yes the fuel pump runs constantly (while cranking and while the engine is running).