At a loss Here with my first boat 131 volvo penta will not stay running.HELP/INSIGHT

clarkpinter

Recruit
I recently purchased my first boat. It is a Baretta w a 4 cylinder 131 volvo penta motor. The first three times out ran great; however, on Fathers Day I attempted to go out with my dad and spn. It idled fine passed the marina. When I gave it throttle it went and then bogged down then back and forth and died. I started it right back up and it did the same. I tried to do the regular trouble shooting without any luck. Thought maybe bad gas or fuel filter. Coming back to the launch, we had to restart the motor aprox twenty times. It seemed like it was running out of gas; however, the tank was full. It would rpm high and go then stall or go back and forth. I did what I knew would help after reading thru the forums. I bought new batteries, plugs, points, fuel filter and checked the carb. The gas is getting to the carb. The only thing I did to the boat was change the ingition. My mom lost the key. This was proir to the first trips. I had a problem with that because the battery wires came loose on the ingition switch. Once that was corrected, it was starting up. Proir to changing the plugs and points, it took a few times to actually start; however, since I chandged those items, it starts up great. I was worried that my dad may have done something to the throttle due to the fact he kept throttling up and down to get us back. I thought the boat was fixed after I replace the point and plugs because it was fine in the driveway with the muffs. Today it did the same seemed to run ok but then it bogged up and down and doesnt get the speed while in gear. When the boat was running good, I would be running at around 25 mph. Now in the same rpms Im at 10 mph and it bogs up and down and the rpms jump . I came back in very slow and had a few times it didnt want to start back up. I didnt want to give it gas because it would of stalled and I dont want to possibly damage the motor. I plan on taking it in; however, I would greatly appericate any insight as Im hoping its correctable. Thought maybe a fuel pump. When I disconnected the fuel line at the carb it seemed to be spitting good amounts. I did try and run ot off a gas can w the same results. Thanks in advance. Sorry if the description is lacking. If you need futher info, please let me know. Im unfamiliar with alot about boat motors and Im learning as I go. Its a volvo penta io aq131d. Thanks again.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: At a loss Here with my first boat 131 volvo penta will not stay running.HELP/INSI

Welcome to iBoats . . .

Based on what you described, I would be looking at a carburetor re-build or replacement as the next thing to try.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Re: At a loss Here with my first boat 131 volvo penta will not stay running.HELP/INSI

Were the points set up with a dwell meter,was the timing checked?
Grub

Fair Weather

Cadet

I had the same symstems with a aq130 p44s duel solex down draft carbs, I tried cleaning the carbs out by pulling the jets and blowing air through them, they were pluged pretty badly, that helped a little I just couldnt justify buying carb rebuild kits from napa for 120$ a piece! I found off brand kits on ebay for 46$ a piece, after rebuilding them with a seloc repair manual she ran fantanstic, then I timed it by ear and she was crusing at 45mph! theres also some aftermarket intake manifolds you can get and then put on a new two barrel carb, also i would pick up a new fuel pump there about 45 bucks for one with a life time warrenty, mine came with a eletric ad on that wouldnt pump enughf gas for her to stay running! Id deffently recomend rebuilding your own carbs its really easy and worth while! And when your crusing at 6000rpm you know whats going on in your carbs!