Volvo penta power trim goes down but NOT up?

Bubba72

Cadet
I'm new here and am not by any means a mechanic. But my issue is this.....i just picked up a 1985 Bayliner 21' with a Volvo penta 4cyl. not sure model but i think it's a 270. The power trim goes but does nothing except click at the relay box right there at the trim motor. Any suggestions on what the problem could be and how to fix it? It's currently on the trailer with the motor all the way down and it won't come back up. Also.....also the trim only worked with the key in the running, is that way it's supposed to work or am i missing something? Remember.....I'm no mechanic by far but i get in there and do my best to solve and fix the issue.....
Thanks in advance for the help....

JimCurles

Recruit
Re: Volvo penta power trim goes down but NOT up?

Look for the up & down relays (usually on the trim pump & switch them around.If the drive goes up you have a bad relay.They can be found at most auto parts store 5 terminal.Driving light relays work well

kwhopper95

Recruit

I'm having the same problem...I can't figure it out. I got the boat in the water, trim button just clicked. I tapped on the trim motor and it started going down. End if the day loading the boat It wouldn't come up, I had to take the pin out and tie it with a strap just to get boat out the water. Hit the button it doesn't even click now?

Bubba72

Cadet

Problem solved......it was a bad relay....thank you

Recruit

This thread just saved me an enormous amount of time. Thank you!! See, I've just gotten home with my Glastron GX225 with a Volvo Penta 5.7GL-B and SX outdrive. About 8 miles ago, I was trimming my plane at around 25 mph. The trim would go up, but not down. I didn't realize this of course until my bow was sky high and I could no longer hold a plane. Needless to say it was a long idle home. Google lead me to this forum, I joined, I searched...and I learned. Went out, swapped the relays, added a little dielectric grease and I'm in business. Up and down.

So, thanks again mates! :D