volvo sx shift cable?

Seaman84

Seaman
So I put my volvo Sx-m Drive back on, everything works fine, Just the Shift cable with the Cotter Pin, I can't Get It Adjusted right?It shifts from Reverse to Neutral To Forward Smooth, but when I shift Back to neutral it Will try but gets Stuck??? And it wont push it all the way to Reverse Either?*boat is glastron 195 sx 5.0 GL-E/ Sx-M

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo sx shift cable?

If the drive mechanism itself can be moved with no problem, you need a new shift cable.
Being such a new boat, check for any real sharp bends in the cable going to the control, you may need a longer cable, and do not tie the cables down closer than 2 or 3 feet of the control The cables need to swing easily or they will wear out faster.

Seaman84

Seaman

If the drive mechanism itself can be moved with no problem, you need a new shift cable.
Being such a new boat, check for any real sharp bends in the cable going to the control, you may need a longer cable, and do not tie the cables down closer than 2 or 3 feet of the control The cables need to swing easily or they will wear out faster.

No it cant be moved easily, It shifts foward smooth I just cant get it to shift all the way back easily, It tries it but it wont bend the cube back all the way its just adjustment

Seaman84

Seaman

By any chance don Am I suppose to put the cotter pin & cube at and angle?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Turn the prop while changing gears and see if that helps it.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Rick I think Don meant if you unhook the cable from the drive and can then manually shift the drive with no problem, then the cable is the problem.

Here's the instructions from the service manual about checking and adjusting the shift cable. If you can't get that to work, time for a new one. I did mine last year on a 5.0gl-h engine and it's pretty straightforward.

Seaman84

Seaman

Rick I think Don meant if you unhook the cable from the drive and can then manually shift the drive with no problem, then the cable is the problem.

Here's the instructions from the service manual about checking and adjusting the shift cable. If you can't get that to work, time for a new one. I did mine last year on a 5.0gl-h engine and it's pretty straightforward.

I found the problem, The mounting plate that puts pressure on the shift cable has the nut split in half, so half the nut is in the thread & the top of it fell of, I will try jb weld on the plate, I hope I don't get stuck in gear at the lake :(

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

At the control or at the drive? Not sure what mounting plate and nut you are talking about.