Volvo Penta Starter

tvigg27

Cadet
I have a 2006 volvo penta 5.7 gi-e, starter went bad and needs to be replaced. Before I go ahead and drop it out I am doing some research, can anyone tell me if this starter on this model uses a spacer? If it does it is going to be an extremely tough job because of the little amount of room to work. Thanks for the help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta Starter

Spacer for what? If you are referring to starter shims. Volvo OEM starters never have shims. Aftermarket starters may, depending on how much out of tolerance they were manufactured.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Just a suggestion too...

Rather than buying an ill fitting aftermarket starter like Don mentioned, or spending a bunch of cash on a factory unit, give your local starter rebuilder a little business, and have yours rebuilt.

Cheaper than factory, and better than a cheap aftermarket job.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

I have a 2006 volvo penta 5.7 gi-e, starter went bad and needs to be replaced. Before I go ahead and drop it out I am doing some research, can anyone tell me if this starter on this model uses a spacer? If it does it is going to be an extremely tough job because of the little amount of room to work. Thanks for the help.

:D In the old days spacers were a comon issue or occurance that new 5.7 wont have any. Get yourself a delco or bosch strater and call it a day. Google

Now as to angles or removing the starter..you may find standing on your head.. gets you the right access or laying on your side head turned to the left.....Ahh then have short rachets....long rachet's couple of swivel's... few differnt extension's and map out your plan of attack..getting the correct angle's to actually get it out. From there it's a breeze...:faint2:

tvigg27

Cadet

Ok thanks for the info. I did get the starter out and was not easy I think at one point I was upside down. Brought the starter to a local guy to get rebuilt for half the price and a 1 day turn around. Thanks for help.