setting timing on 5.0 volvo

bmuhlenbruch

Cadet
I have a 2000 Volvo pentra 5.0 gl engine # 4110199618. I don't see no plugs or test wire to set it into base timing mode but I maybe over looking it. I have read a lot of other post about putting it into base mode and some say I don't have too, but want to see if I have to on mine.

Also the long block has been replaced with a 5.7 dist is the org. So if you have any specs on the timing it would be great.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: setting timing on 5.0 volvo

That depends on if you have the Delco EST or Prestolite BID ignition systems. If it's the Delco EST, it must be put into base timing mode using a special tool...Volvo 885163-6... following these instructions from the stickies.

bmuhlenbruch

Cadet

That depends on if you have the Delco EST or Prestolite BID ignition systems. If it's the Delco EST, it must be put into base timing mode using a special tool...Volvo 885163-6... following these instructions from the stickies.

How do I tell the diff it has 2 wire coming out from the module nothing else it also has cent advance weights no vac. I had it apart so if there's something else u need to know I can prob answer it.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Then it is probably the Prestolite version and you don't need to do anything to set it into base mode. Here's the service manual stuff about your ignition system. Do these pictures look like it?

FYI, I have no idea what changes, if anything, from replacing the block with the 5.7.

bmuhlenbruch

Cadet

Thanks a lot I'll have to look at your link on my computer phone don't let me see it all.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You have the Prestolite BID distributor, no base timing mode needed.