AQ125 Volvo Penta spark problem

Recruit
I am having problems getting spark plugs to fire in a AQ125 Volvo Penta in a 1983 Bayliner Capri. I put in new NGK BPR6ES plugs which are supposed to be a good cross reference to the Bosch W6DC shown on the engine, but I get no spark. I can get spark when I put in Autolite 2852 spark plug that came from an old outboard Force motor that I had laying around. I checked it on all 4 cylinders , so I doubt I have 4 defective new spark plugs. I did all this with the old ignition coil in which has an external resistor. I put in a new iginition coil with an internal resistor because I was going to install an electronic ignition conversion kit. I thought replacing the coil might fix the problem, but still no spark. Before I install the conversion kit I want to make sure the plugs are sparking. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
John

NYBo

Admiral
Re: AQ125 Volvo Penta spark problem

Check the kill switch and its wiring.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Did you unscrew the resistor from each spark plug? The plug wires won't hold onto the resistor and so won't have a good connection.

The spark plug wires are designed for non-resistor plugs and all the replacement plugs have a resistor pre-installed on them. Just unscrew it from the plug and re-install. You should notice the feel of the plug wire as it makes a good connection on the threads of the spark plug.

The R in BPR6ES and WR6DC stand for resistor. You simply un-screw it from the plug to have a BP6ES or W6DC.

I did all this with the old ignition coil in which has an external resistor. I put in a new iginition coil with an internal resistor because I was going to install an electronic ignition conversion kit.
Did you remove the external resistor? You don't want the new coil resistance doubled down on.

Maclin

Admiral

When was the last time new points installed and dwell/timing adjusted?

I am having problems getting spark plugs to fire in a AQ125 Volvo Penta in a 1983 Bayliner Capri. I put in new NGK BPR6ES plugs which are supposed to be a good cross reference to the Bosch W6DC shown on the engine, but I get no spark. I can get spark when I put in Autolite 2852 spark plug that came from an old outboard Force motor that I had laying around. I checked it on all 4 cylinders , so I doubt I have 4 defective new spark plugs. I did all this with the old ignition coil in which has an external resistor. I put in a new iginition coil with an internal resistor because I was going to install an electronic ignition conversion kit. I thought replacing the coil might fix the problem, but still no spark. Before I install the conversion kit I want to make sure the plugs are sparking. Any thoughts?
Thanks,
John

Are your wires solid core?

Electronic ignition does not like solid core wires and you won't get a spark. It looks like you haven't don't the electronic ignition upgrade, but just a heads up. Wasted a lot of time, read hundreds of forum posts and never found a word about solid core spark plug wires and electronic ignition. I had to find out the hard way.