2001 Volvo Penta 5.0L with SX Drive power trim motor issue

cwkrumm

Recruit
Had the trim motor stop working on me this past weekend. Troubleshooting we realized that the relays were good, wiring was good, and when I tapped on the motor with a wrench it started working. I had this happen to a starter motor last year and it eventually stopped working.

I called the marina and was quoted $319 for the part plus 3 hours labor to replace. I have to assume they want to replace the entire assembly instead of just the motor. I have no leaks, just an electrical issue within the motor. So I started checking online and have found just the motor for well under $100.

My question is how hard is it to simply remove the existing motor from the top of the reservoir and replace? It looks as if there are two bolts on the top, around 8-10mm in size that probably go the length of the motor into the reservoir, plus the 2 wire pigtail for wiring. If I remove the motor do I have a mess on my hands with the fluid in the reservoir? Have other vacations planned and just don't want to spend anymore than I have to to get this thing working again. Thanks.

The motor is located in the engine compartment beside battery if that helps.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 2001 Volvo Penta 5.0L with SX Drive power trim motor issue

Just pull the whole unit out of the boat (mark the hoses so they go back in the right place). The take the motor off and put the new one on and hook everything back up.
How hard that is for you to do, I have no idea. Only you know your abilities.

cwkrumm

Recruit

If I have easy access to the motor itself is it necessary to pull the entire assembly out?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If you have room, sure. DO NOT re-use any old orings or gaskets.