Water in flywheel bellhousing volvo 280

Traveling Light

Recruit
I have recently acquired a 1974 glastron swinger with ford302 attached to a volvo280 outdrive. When running the engine on muffs water is leaking from inside the flywheel bellhousing. Any ideas on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water in flywheel bellhousing volvo 280

I would say a core plug or a crack in the block in front of the flywheel.

Pull the engine, flywheel cover, flywheel and look at the back of the block.

Traveling Light

Recruit

Thanks for the response. Is there a core plug hiddiing behind the flywheel, inside the flywheel housing? I will attempt to remove the uppergear housing. Looks like I should remove the steering helmet nut,upper rear bellows clamp, disconnect gear shift linkage, remove two lower nuts and two allen head retaining nuts. Should lift right out allowing the engine to slide forward is my plan. Any trick to removing the uppercase?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Is there a core plug hiddiing behind the flywheel, inside the flywheel housing?
Not for sure if there is or not. If not, then you have a crack if that is where the water is coming from. Could be both.

http://forums.iboats.com/mercruiser...tdrives/outdrive-side-pin-removal-309095.html

Once you remove the upper gear box, there is another ring with 6 bolts and clamp ring you remove. Then you pull the flywheel cover out with the engine.

rubber rings.jpg