Volvo Penta 280 Outdrives won't trim down enough

aoconstruction

Recruit
My mechanic installed new pistons, rebuilt the outdrives, adjusted everything and I've been having trouble getting up on plain. This is an older 1988 or so Sun runner 280 classic with Volvo Penta 280 outdrives.

After another frustrating day on the water I took a picture back at the dock with both outdrives all the way bottomed out and it seems like they're not going down enough. I shoot a little bit of a rooster tail and the only way I can get any speed out of the boat is by putting about 600 pounds of people up on my bow.

When the boat was back at my place before the season started I don't remember the drives up this high, It seemed that they went down properly. Both trim pumps work fine and they go into relief when bottoming out the drives.

Can anyone advise as to why both drives are equally up too high?

Thanks. Alan

Attachments

• Outdrives.jpg
    Outdrives.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 1

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 280 Outdrives won't trim down enough

First off, they aren't 280 drives, they are 290 drives. I can tell that by the transom shields.

Looks to me that something was installed improperly to cause that problem, and whatever it was, was done twice.
I would be calling the dealer that fixed it and explaining the problem to them. Nothing you are going to do with it still in the water. And you never will get it to plain with the drives that far up.

aoconstruction

Recruit
Re: Volvo Penta 280 Outdrives won't trim down enough

Turns out the drives are all the way down. The 290's have a angled top like that. Looks like they're up but they are down.

I Still can't figure out why I can't get up on plane. I can only get up on plane if I put my trim tabs all the way down and 600-800 lbs on the bow. Then I can get finally get above 14 mph all the way up to 25 mph.

at 14mph I can only get 2800 rpm out of the engines. When I get up to 25 i'm at 3400 rpm.

Does anyone have any ideas?