Tilt on a 275 Volvo Penta

hawgleg

Cadet
Any information on how to remove the tilt assembly for a 275 volvo penta would be helpful. I believe the gears are jammed in the up possition so it needs to be rebuilt. I've removed the two allen screws holding the bottom housing to the transom but it will not budge. Do i need to have the foot in the up or down possition or does it matter? I just do not want to tear anything up.

captmello

Captain
Re: Tilt on a 275 Volvo Penta

you're on the right track, the housing is corroded in the transom shield. Just needs some persuasion. A block between the outdrive and the foot and some pressure on the outdrive to help pop it loose...Maybe a pipe wrench on the housing to give it a little twist...

Welcome! btw.

hawgleg

Cadet

Thanks for the welcome. Before I get the while upper and lower assembly out, I got another question. I believe somehow the tilt is stuck in the down position because I can still lift the out drive up and down manually. Is there a way to possibly unstick the gears by manually twisting the worm gear from where the motor sits in the housing? Or, would that make things worse? Also, the relay house is loose on the top part of the assembly to where I can pull on and off at will...doesn't that need to be secured on top of the assembly some how? Another also, when I put the relay on it "clicks" which doesn't allow the motor to work. If the great is actually stuck in the Down position, shouldn't the relay not click? Sorry for all the questions and I hope I'm on the right track in asking them

hawgleg

Cadet

Basically I told you it's stuck in up but I'm saying down...I'm learning something new every time I look at it so please be patient with me. Haha

captmello

Captain

Thanks for the welcome. Before I get the while upper and lower assembly out, I got another question. I believe somehow the tilt is stuck in the down position because I can still lift the out drive up and down manually. Is there a way to possibly unstick the gears by manually twisting the worm gear from where the motor sits in the housing? Or, would that make things worse? Also, the relay house is loose on the top part of the assembly to where I can pull on and off at will...doesn't that need to be secured on top of the assembly some how? Another also, when I put the relay on it "clicks" which doesn't allow the motor to work. If the great is actually stuck in the Down position, shouldn't the relay not click? Sorry for all the questions and I hope I'm on the right track in asking them

It may just be the motor is bad. You may be able to replace the motor without removing the lift assembly. I would pull the whole assembly and reseal and grease it. Its not difficult to work on.

The click you hear from the relay box is the limit switch which stops the lift when the outdrive is in the full down position. The box needs to be attached to the tilt mech for it to work properly. See the attached link. #23&24 are the two bolts/nuts that you are missing. They need to be snug but not too tight. The relay box should still turn freely on the tilt mech, but should not move up and down.
Mechanical Lifting Device Drive Unit 275, Sp-A/Mt AQ131A, AQ131D - 7744650 - Volvo Penta

hawgleg

Cadet

Sorry it took so long for me to get back to this thread. The motor is good, I've tested it. I still can't get the lower housing off though. I took the upper housing off and when I twist the lower housing, the vice rod turns with it. Is that normal? The vice rod looks to be all the way up and stuck.

hawgleg

Cadet

Well made some headway. Got the assembly out and everything soaking in a bath of degreaser. Bearing and gears look really good. Now, how do I get the vise rod out of the housing itself? Seems to be stuck.

captmello

Captain

Its been a while, but I'm pretty sure the rod should just pull out. The rod doesn't turn, It only goes up and down. You may have to remove the foot from the bottom of the rod before it pulls out.

hawgleg

Cadet

Well I made an uh oh trying to get the rod out. Removed the foot from the bottom and the thing wouldn't budge. While using a percussion persuasion to get it out, a piece of the threaded part at the bottom of the housing chipped off. I thing I'm dead in the water huh? Does this mean I've got to buy a whole new assembly? I've found used/rebuilt ones on line for almost the same price as a brand new housing. Is there any way to get out of this problem without spending an arm and a leg? Man, I'm not happy right now...any help would be appreciated