Volvo Penta 5.7Gi-E High Fuel Pressure

jckc779

Cadet
I have out of spec high fuel pressure on my 5.7GI-E, which is causing hard starting and rich running. I have gone through the Volvo Penta diagnostics which have lead me through the following steps:

Step 2, check fuel pressure, result was not in spec (80 psi vs 60), go to step 12
Step 12, disconnect fuel return line from fuel rail and check pressure again, result was within spec (60 psi), go to step 22
Step 22, locate and repair the restriction in the fuel return pipe.

So I reattached the fuel line to the fuel rail and disconnected it on the other end at the fuel pump. The result was the same, fuel pressure was within spec.

So, the restriction is in the fuel pump, not the fuel line. The diagnostic manual doesn't go any further so I'm not sure what to do other than try to disassemble the fuel pump to find the restriction. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this and determined what the problem was.

Thanks.

5.7 GI-E (3869258 S/N 4012126825)
MEFI 4b (12584052)

smcroy

Recruit
Re: Volvo Penta 5.7Gi-E High Fuel Pressure

I would check the fuel pressure regulator. It's either out of spec, or the screen (which is part of it) is clogged. VP issued a notice about this where they suggest replacing the screen with a particular spacer. I had one pressure regulator that didn't regulate at all, the rail was at 100psi and the engine wouldn't start. The screen was also pretty dirty. Replacing the regulator solved the problem.

I have out of spec high fuel pressure on my 5.7GI-E, which is causing hard starting and rich running. I have gone through the Volvo Penta diagnostics which have lead me through the following steps:

Step 2, check fuel pressure, result was not in spec (80 psi vs 60), go to step 12
Step 12, disconnect fuel return line from fuel rail and check pressure again, result was within spec (60 psi), go to step 22
Step 22, locate and repair the restriction in the fuel return pipe.

So I reattached the fuel line to the fuel rail and disconnected it on the other end at the fuel pump. The result was the same, fuel pressure was within spec.

So, the restriction is in the fuel pump, not the fuel line. The diagnostic manual doesn't go any further so I'm not sure what to do other than try to disassemble the fuel pump to find the restriction. Just wondering if anybody else has experienced this and determined what the problem was.

Thanks.

5.7 GI-E (3869258 S/N 4012126825)
MEFI 4b (12584052)