2000 Volvo Penta 4.3GL Carb -Erratic Starter Behavior

mbrooks

Recruit
I have a 2000 Volvo Penta 4.3GL carburetor version. Tried to start it yesterday and I'd get nothing.
I charged the battery (new last summer), and after an hour would get a loud solenoid click. Let it charge for over 3
hours and it started fine and I ran it with water jacket for about 5 minutes just fine. I started it 2 or 3 times and then it went back to not even the solenoid click. I've been charging the battery and trying for the last 24 hours. It will start if left alone for about 3 hours, but then after 2 or 3 starts it just clicks again. The battery checks good on 2 different load testers, when I try and start it the voltage drops from 13.2 to 12.9. I'm not against buying a new battery, but I'm concerned that isn't really the problem.

Some background. 2 years ago the boat in was in storage in heavy rain and the back of the engine compartment got flooded. It drained and ran fine last summer 5-6 times. But I'm concerned that rust may have set in the starter. But when it turned over it sounded fine. I can turn the engine over by hand and all pulley's turn fine. When it does start it sounds nice and even with no erratic behavior so I'm reasonably certain there's no hydro lock issues.

Do starters behave this way when they go bad? I don't think it's a ring gear issue because after it sits for over 3 hours charging when I try again the ring gear hasn't moved, and it will just fire up. Any ideas are appreciated!
-