Volvo Penta 5.0 GL PBYC "Start" issue

Beaumills

Cadet
Good Evening All,

Thanks in advance for any help given. I recently finished a flapper valve repair on my Y pipe for my Volvo Penta 5.0 GL PBYC (Serno 4110168956)?in no small part thanks to you guys, so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction with my latest problem. The engine is seated in a 1998 Reinell 203.

Please refer to this parts breakdown (exploded view) for the item numbers of the parts in the following paragraph. Volvo Penta Exploded view / schematic Exhaust and Cooling 5.0GLPBYC, 5.0GIPBYCCE, 5.7GSPBYC, 5.7GSIPBYCCE, 5.7GSIPBYDCE - MarinePartsEurope.com

In my effort to fix my Y-Pipe from the flapper valves I removed the exhaust elbows (Item 44), exhaust pipe (Item 2), and exhaust hoses (Items 48 and 30)...aka bellows? I then replaced the exhaust elbow to manifold gasket (Item 8), the upper exhaust hoses (Item 48), and the alternator belt (it needed it!)(Item 41). I was then able to fill the holes in the Y-Pipe (Item 22) left by the flapper valve pins (Item 23) with silicon and masking tape. Next, I reinstalled the exhaust elbows, exhaust pipes, and exhaust hoses (with aforementioned new gaskets and hose) and attempted what I thought would be an easy start?of course not. The engine made a brief attempt at ?turning over,? then nothing. No clicking, chugging, cranking or any noise whatsoever. At this point I realized I had forgotten to reattached the engine harness wire clips that I had to undo when removing the left exhaust elbow. So I connected them and attempted to fire again, still nothing. Thinking I may have blown a fuse I checked the ignition fuses under the dash (all good) and attempted to fire again, another brief ?chug,? then nothing. I then thought it could be the battery but tested the trim and it was moving up and down, and all of my blower/pump/bilge etc. accessory switches were working and I could hear them running when activated. At this point I also noticed that even though the key was in the on position none of the gauges (tac, speed, gas, oil temp etc.) were moving at all; like there was no electricity at all. The starter SHOULD be good as it was just replaced at the shop when I had them fix the trim wiring issue, which was fixed by replacing the fuses in the Engine Harness Bracket box (Volvo Penta Exploded view / schematic Engine Harness Bracket 5.0GLPBYC, 5.0GIPBYCCE, 5.7GSPBYC, 5.7GSIPBYCCE, 5.7GSIPBYDCE - MarinePartsEurope.com). When I first received the boat back from the shop on May 6th it started fine, so I?m guessing I had to of screwed something up removing the exhaust, but the only wire I even touched was the engine harness too unclip it. It is worth noting that it started fine a few weeks ago before I started fixing the Y-Pipe.

Is it possible that I fried something while attempting to fire without the harness connected? If so what could it be? And if not then what the heck would cause this ?dead ignition? problem (don?t know what else to call it). To reiterate, the starter is new, the battery seemed to have juice, and the fuses under the dash were all good, and nothing was happening when I turned the key (except twice about 10 minutes apart and they were rather brief ?turns?). Last good start was May 6th-since then only the above maintenance on the exhaust elbows has been performed. Other than that its just been sitting on a trailer. I am charging the battery overnight in the garage to be sure and rule it out in the morning. I am fairly inexperienced at this so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Volvo Penta 5.0 GL PBYC "Start" issue

I think you are doing the right thing i.e. charging the battery.

Beaumills

Cadet

So I just confirmed its not the battery, attached a fully charged battery and still nothing. Is it possible that the starter is somehow bad? Am I right in thinking I should at least hear it clicking or something? When turning the key its basically like a battery isn't even attached. Or is it possible that I blew the fuses in the Engine Harness Bracket? I attached a picture of the wire clips I forgot to reconnect on the first fire, I believe one end is attached to the harness and the other leads to the front dash panel. Also attached a picture of the fuses on the bracket I'm talking abut. Also wondering if It could be the relay, or maybe the automatic fuse on the fuel pump? I really have no clue...Also wondering if anyone knows how I can test he starter or those fuses by themselves?

Harness Clip.jpgEngine Harness Bracket Fuses.jpg

Beaumills

Cadet

Does it make any clicking or clunking noises when you turn the key to start? Or just complete silence?

Nope, no noise at all. I hear the exact same silence turning the key with the battery unplugged that I do with it plugged in. EDIT:...Complete, utter, depressing silence.

Beaumills

Cadet

and thanks for the trouble shooting steps, should help a lot.