Volvo penta ignition coil

shadow1435

Recruit
Hi, i have a 1985 bayliner open bow with volvo penta engine. Friend gave me the boat as he doesnt use it.

We were out today and as we were driving the boat started to studder like it wasnt running right then slowly cut off. After it cut off on its own we couldnt get it to turn on again. We had already worked on the boat last week when we were getting no spark and got the distributor to spark. He had purchased a second coil thinking it might be the coil but we determined that wasnt the problem. When it cut out today we went back to thinking maybe the coil was bad since we were getting no spark again. We swapped out the coil and got a spark. Started up the boat and started driving again only to have the boat start to studder about 3-5 min into driving it again. Seemed like we were getting no spark again??? (went through another coil??) Didnt have much time to test it after this as it was dark.

Any ideas as to what could be the cause? Cause of coils going bad, or maybe its not even the coil at all... but we are sure that power is getting from the battery to the coil. New to boat owning so not really sure where to start testing.

Any suggestions welcome!

Thanks!

sailingseven

Seaman
Re: Volvo penta ignition coil

Do you know the engine model number? Does it have points? If it does that's where I would start.

txepetxa

Cadet

Good morning,
My engine (volvo 4.3 gl-d)old ignition coil it is dead, and i want replace it, but i have the problem that old ignition coil it is not in production anymore and it is replaced by another ignition coil filled with oil.
The problem that i have its that old ignition coil has two conectors (with 4 wires, two wires each conector) and new coil only two terminales (+ and -).
anyone knows how to connect new coil? thanks in advance

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer

All coils have three connectors, a +, a neg and high tension lead. If you have multiple wires on each of the low voltage side just reinstall same way. Typ boat wiring is color coded.
Good morning,
My engine (volvo 4.3 gl-d)old ignition coil it is dead, and i want replace it, but i have the problem that old ignition coil it is not in production anymore and it is replaced by another ignition coil filled with oil.
The problem that i have its that old ignition coil has two conectors (with 4 wires, two wires each conector) and new coil only two terminales (+ and -).
anyone knows how to connect new coil? thanks in advance