Volvo Penta outdrive - which gear unit oil to use? Too many options.....

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've read over all the threads talking about what gear oil to use, how the Mobilube SCH is not available here (nor is the Mobil Delvac Synthetic for that matter, or at least I can't find it locally) and how any GL-5 synthetic is good enough as long as it doesn't contain the additives for limited slip differentials.

So, I'm trying to find a GL-5 synthetic available locally which is NOT designed for limited slip use but I'm having difficulties. I read things that say "designed for conventional or limited slip" or "good only to top off limited slip", thereby suggesting they are actually NOT good for limited slip? If it reads good for conventional differentials will that work?

Then I read a thread which suggested the Quicksilver High performance gear lube was ok but in reading over its specs, I can't find where it is compliant with GL-5 nor where it even says its synthetic. :confused:

How about the Sierra high performance synthetic blend lower gear unit oil?

I've got Mobilube 1 LS synthetic 75/90 in my outdrive now (have been running it for about 2 hours) which I realized today that its the wrong stuff.

Can someone recommend a synthetic gear oil which can be found locally - autozone, oriellys, advance, etc?
I can order the Volvo stuff on Ebay for $18 per bottle but I'd rather rely on local vendors if possible.
Thanks

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Volvo Penta outdrive - which gear unit oil to use? Too many options.....

Delete reply

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I had the Mobil 1 LS stuff from autozone in my drive this spring too. Not wanting to worry about it either, I began looking all around. I couldn't find anything local that was definitely GL5 and synthetic without limited slip additives.

Besides that, most people agree marine gear lube is designed to mix with water that gets into the drive instead of letting it settle to the bottom and begin rusting internal parts. For basically no price difference, I decided I'd rather have a marine type as well. Now, if a GL5 synthetic w/o additives is hard to find locally, good luck adding "marine" as a requirement too!

I ended up ordering 3 quarts of Amsoil marine gear lube straight from their website. Its marine qualities have even been tested which is reassuring if I ever get water intrusion. It arrived next day, and so far so good.

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class

Skydive has the right idea, much appreciated. I thought Lucas made a marine oil that was LS free but I was wrong. It'll just have to go into one of my cars. Amsoil it is, no Volvo shops nearby me either.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks guys for the reply. I was really hoping to find a local alternative to avoid always having to think ahead and order gear oil because its "easier"....well now it seems its easier to just order it.

Silverbullet555

Chief Petty Officer

As an FYI, amsoil used to make the Volvo 30w synthetic engine oil when that was what VP sold. I would not be surprised if they make the gear oil as well.