Welding starter mounts volvo 4.3GL 1999

darrell.1

Recruit
Hello everyone. Well my starter was making a loud grinding so took off starter and checked it.Starter fine, When i installed the starter I noticed the closest bolt hole is cracked on the block in 2 places. when I turn the boat over the starter jumps and becomes loose again. I have 23 questions please. Thanks for any advice. I have heard it all and nothing good so far. haha

3 questions please.

1.Can I weld the Cast Iron cracks on block?
2. Do you think I have to remove the motor to weld the cracks.
3.Can i use longer bolts and locktight and just tighten the heck out of it?

Marina wants $1,500.00 to look at it.

Thanks
Darrell

darrell.1

Recruit
Welding starter mounts volvo 4.3GL 1999

Hey everyone. I have a 1999 Monterey volvo pentum 4.3 GL.

The cast iron block where the bolts that hold the starter in place are cracked about 1 inch from base up.

Can I weld this?
Must I remove motor to weld this?
will welding hold the starter in place. starter jumps and grinds right now and loosens bolts after 2 starts.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Welding starter mounts volvo 4.3GL 1999

Hey everyone. I have a 1999 Monterey volvo pentum 4.3 GL.

The cast iron block where the bolts that hold the starter in place are cracked about 1 inch from base up.

Can I weld this?
Must I remove motor to weld this?
will welding hold the starter in place. starter jumps and grinds right now and loosens bolts after 2 starts.

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... Donno if You know how to weld cast iron, or not,... I can....
But,... I wouldn't even Try to do that without pullin' the motor...

Cast iron needs to be either Brazed, or welded with Nickle filler rod...
'n even then, the odds are against success...

R Steele

Cadet
Re: Can I weld cracks on starter mount.

3.Can i use longer bolts and locktight and just tighten the heck out of it?

I've seen someone break the corner of the block off by putting in too long of starter bolts into a closed hole and tightening too much. Could possibly be why you have cracks now.

Dpierovich

Recruit

I've seen someone break the corner of the block off by putting in too long of starter bolts into a closed hole and tightening too much. Could possibly be why you have cracks now.

This is a fairly common problem with these motors. I've read several posts on other forums with people taking about the same issue and have seen a few local motors for sale on CL (cheap) with the same cracking. I noticed mine had small cracks when I replaced my started recently. I was careful to torque the bolts back to Volvo specs and will continue to check it before going out. If it only makes it another season, at least I can put off the repower a bit.

I can only guess, IMO these engines were probably overtorqued at the factory. THANKS GM

Bondo

Staff member

This is a fairly common problem with these motors. I've read several posts on other forums with people taking about the same issue and have seen a few local motors for sale on CL (cheap) with the same cracking. I noticed mine had small cracks when I replaced my started recently. I was careful to torque the bolts back to Volvo specs and will continue to check it before going out. If it only makes it another season, at least I can put off the repower a bit.

I can only guess, IMO these engines were probably overtorqued at the factory. THANKS GM

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... You can increase yer odds abit by puttin' a front brace/ bracket on it, back to the block,...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Welding starter mounts volvo 4.3GL 1999

Old Thread.

OP hasn't been here since last May.