Volvo Penta 4.3 - won't idle in neutral or low rpm??

Boats159

Recruit
Hello, I need some help. I have a 1995 Wellcraft by Excel 21ft SL cuddy. I just put in in the slip and it started right up and runs great at high rpm. When backing off on the throttle, the engine quits at low rpm or in neutral. Any ideas what I can try, I can do some work on my own. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta 4.3 - won't idle in neutral or low rpm??

Hello, I need some help. I have a 1995 Wellcraft by Excel 21ft SL cuddy. I just put in in the slip and it started right up and runs great at high rpm. When backing off on the throttle, the engine quits at low rpm or in neutral. Any ideas what I can try, I can do some work on my own. Thanks for any advice.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... I'd start by changin' the fuel filter, 'n inspectin' the contents of the old 1 for Water....

Has the motor been given a tune up, 'n service recently,..??

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Really need a full model number or serial number for your engine. Year is for boat only, not your engine package, plus we don't have a clue if carbed or EFI.

Boats159

Recruit

Thanks for the advice...Tune up was done last summer..I'll let you know the results.

It a carb. engine, I don't currently know the serial # to engine as its in my slip..its is the orginal engine. Volvo Penta GS 4.3