1996 Volvo Penta 5.0 EFI Won't start - fuel?

bcomer

Seaman
Hello,

Boat ran fine two years ago before putting away. Sat for two years.

Engine cranks fine but does not start. I do not hear any sound form fuel pump(s). Pump was replaced a few years ago. Could it be bad again?
Tank is full of fuel.
Safety lanyard is connected - in place

Is there a cleaning process that is required after sitting for two years?
Is there a way to test fuel pump?

Any troubleshooting directions or test procedures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

bcomer

Seaman
Re: 1996 Volvo Penta 5.0 EFI Won't start - fuel?

Thanks but my engine is a Volvo Penta (Ford) with EFI. Is there a similar link or diagostic procedure for system with EFI?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is a number of fuses and relays that could cause the fuel pumps not to run. Since there are two pumps and neither runs, I doubt it's a problem with the pumps themselves.

This may be the diagram for your fuel pump wiring, but need the full model number or engine serial number to be sure, year of the boat only get the engine withing a year of the correct model.

View attachment FP.pdf

bcomer

Seaman

Thanks Don. I'm not quite up to reading schematics but thanks for sending.
Here is what I have done so far.
1. Based on some of your older posts I bypassed the relay at the points to suggested. The fuel pump came to life and runs. Did not try to start motor at that point as I wasn't sure if that is what I should have done to see if it started.
2. Hoping for best I replaced the relay but the pump still does not energize when key turned on
3. I check the ignition switch and when turned on I have power at main terminal and one other. When turned further to start voltage appears at yellow wire too.
4. I checked the safety switch with the lanyard and I have power on both sides with key on
5. I have power across circuit breaker both sides with key on (one located at safety switch and key)

If pump runs with your by pass suggestion and relay has been changed what could keep the pump from energizing when key is turned on?

BTW it was the LP pump located at fuel filter that turned on. I don't know when the other HP pump is suppose to turn on or if that would have anything to do with the LP pump not being energized when key is turned on.

Desperate
Brian

bcomer

Seaman

If it helps the engine is 50FIPNCSCE

Don S

That is the correct diagram. Note there are two relays in the system, did you try replacing both or just one.

bcomer

Seaman

I only changed low pressure relay. Are they the same relays.
What does it mean when I jump lp relay and pump runs?
When does high pressure pump come on?
What should I do next?

Don S

In that wiring diagram, one is a fuel pump relay (19), runs both pumps, not just one. The other relay (13) powers up the ECM that controls the fuel pump relay and when to turn the pumps on.

bcomer

Seaman

Thanks Don.
Well I found the initial issue. It was stupidity! I started thinking back to anything else I had done to boat since last time it ran. Replaced starter, installed trim tabs, and of course removed batteries and winterized. Turns out when I reinstalled the batteries I left one of the wires off the positive connection that apparently provided power to circuit.

Boat started and ran at medium throttle for 5 minutes and then quit. Does not restart and did not hear fuel pumps energize when I turned key on. It was late to had to abort. I will be back at boat tomorrow. Should I start another thread or keep this one going as it in the end is same problem with differnt cause.

Don S

Follow that cable that you missed the first time. According to the wiring diagram, there should be a 50A fuse in that cable.