Volvo throttle stiff- Where is the friction adjustment??

dizzy1

Seaman
Control, Side Mount Controls and Cables - 5577 - 7744250 - Volvo Penta

Throttle control is stiff on my 2007 Volvo 5.0 GL, way stiffer than my old mercruiser. I checked the linkage and cable, all seems fine. From reading seems the friction is set tighter on Volvo's then Mercruisers. Would like to find the friction adjustment that is in the throttle controler and loosen it a little bit to see if its more to my liking. Anyone know where it is and what screw to adjust? Couldn't find anything in manual or on Volvo's sight. The link above is what I have. Thanks

Last edited:

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Volvo throttle stiff- Where is the friction adjustment??

If you go into throttle-only mode (by depressing the black button at the center of the throttle arm joint while moving the throttle arm forward) is it still stiff? If not, then your problem is a sticky shift cable, possibly from corrosion. I just replaced mine on my 2007 for the same reason. If it feels the same in throttle-only mode, then yes for most control models there is a friction screw. If yours has one, it will be underneath part 2 in your link. It just pops off to reveal the screw.

dizzy1

Seaman

Yep its stiff in throttle only mode too. I'll have to carefully look to pry the cover off to find the screw. Wasn't sure if it was in the front or behind its mount. Thanks

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yea behind it. If I remember right, you'll have to pry off the round pastic piece at the bottom of the control arm that covers the joint itself, and I think unscrew something with the lanyard switch. It's pretty easy, then the square plastic piece just pops off. Slide it up over the top of the control arm and the friction screw is aft of the arm I believe. Also make sure it's nothing binding or sticking on the engine side.