1984 bayliner volvo penta 125 270

spp32679

Cadet
my drive bellow had a big split so i was going to replace it and gimbal barren but when I got here to this point wasn't no gimbal just the shaft and a couple of c clamps don't know what goes back in there i think i got more than i bargin for not sure what to do now here is a pics of what im talking about any advice will help thank youPicture0105.JPG

Maclin

Admiral
Re: 1984 bayliner volvo penta 125 270

Clean out the rim where the bellows goes, install new bellows and c-clamp. The instructions with the bellows will show the orientation of the clamp, i.e. where the screw head needs to be. The driveshaft on the upper unit slides over the splined shaft you see in your pic, lightly grease that so it will come apart ok next time. Once the upper unit is buttoned down just work the bellows and c-clamp onto the upper unit. That's about it.

The raw water hose and fitting on the intermediate housing will never be more accessible that they are now, so you might think about replacing those as well.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I just did this on my boat too. It all looks right so far, so what is the question exactly?

spp32679

Cadet

When I got the drive out there was no gimbal bearing or any thing just my shaft coming out of bell housing I guess what IM needing to know is is there any thing that goes behind the gimbal bearing because the c clips are still there

Maclin

Admiral

There is no gimble bearing on those VP drives. The splined shaft you see is the end of the primary driveshaft inside the PDS (Primary Drive Shaft) housing that bolts to the engine bellhousing and the transom plate. The PDS housing has bearings on each end. The primary driveshaft pokes into a couple/flywheel bolted to the engine crankshaft, and the other end is what you see. That's it. On the outside, the shaft with the ujoints coming out of the upper unit just slips over the primary driveshaft splines.

spp32679

Cadet

Ok so when IM looking into that housing should I be able to see the ball barren when I took the u joint off there was a couple of steel balls and fragments of metal I pulled out in the very back of that housing

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ok so when IM looking into that housing should I be able to see the ball barren when I took the u joint off there was a couple of steel balls and fragments of metal I pulled out in the very back of that housing

You need to pull the engine. The bearing in the flywheel housing is what supports everything, yours is in pieces and no that is not a good things.
Once you get the engine out and the flywheel housing off, look at the flex plate and make sure it's not torn up. What you are seeing normally destroys the flex plate and the flywheel housing.

Did you miss all the strange noised back there when the engine was running

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Additional info

Picture0105.JPG fwc.jpg

spp32679

Cadet

i just got the boat last month was told that all it needed was drive bellow. I took it to the lake. The boat had water coming in i figured it was because of the bellow. Seem to run fine. Never heard any grinding or vibration, even toad another boat about about a mile to a marina. really wasn't wanting to pull the engine if that's what i got to do i will ,but is there really any options here. also on that diagram what is #1 cant ty enough for the diagram a picture is worth a thousand words

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

#1 and #5 are seals. #4 is the bearing. The rest are either pointing to the shaft or housing or air gaps that you pack with grease.

spp32679

Cadet

mullin thats a good looking boat you got there mines got a long ways to go this is my last ? for now can i put that bearing in with out pulling my motor

spp32679

Cadet

i know i maybe acting a little hard headed, but nothing looks tore up on the inside as far the PDSH. it looks like part of the bearing is still stuck to my PDS. can i pull the shaft out or is there somthing holding it in it. comes out about about a inch then stops. here is better picture i hope where you can see a little of what im seeingPicture0109.JPGPicture0107.JPGPicture0106.JPG

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have heard that there is a way to pull the shaft using a slide hammer. At least one guy got it done by welding a vice grip to the end of the slide hammer and was able to pull out the shaft.

spp32679

Cadet

Picture0110.JPGPicture0111.JPGi put vice grip on it pulled it out.thank goodness no welding needed. It still has a rubber seal in the back im thinking that may be a good sign hoping i can get this old piece of bearing off the pds. try to figure out the order in how things go back in. Still need all the advice i can get. As im playing this one as i go. Really ready to get back on the lake.

spp32679

Cadet

Ok got bearing off. IM not sure what parts go back in or order they go in. Also do i need to grease where the splines go into the flex plate? I have some # 2 red packing grease wondering if that would be ok for it.

spp32679

Cadet

I come across another problem. It seems the other part of the bearing is still in the pdsh. It spins around but wont come out any suggestions . I have taking the c clips out so thats not stopping it. Still trying to not pull the motor. this thing will not budge.

spp32679

Cadet

I come across another problem. It seems the other part of the bearing is still in the pdsh. It spins around but wont come out any suggestions . I have taking the c clips out so thats not stopping it. Still trying to not pull the motor. this thing will not budge.
Buddy of mine fixed me up a slide hammer. It worked. Got the race part of the bearing out. I got the front seal in,bearing on the pds, and the shaft is in. I still have got to get rear seal. I'm getting there.:joyous:

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sweet. I put that rear seal in with a 3" pvc pipe to tap it in. Just sayin....