Volvo Penta 4.3 GL start up issues

paulamerson29

Recruit
I have a Regal 1900 with a Volvo penta 4.3 GL-J 3869391. Yesterday and today had issues starting it, it was turning over but not starting. I read up on the fuel pump and relay, went back out later today and messed with the relay and cleaned it. After several more tries still nothing, but then I remembered earlier today reading about the button on the shifter, I pushed it to engage the shifter in Neutral and after a couple of seconds it fired up. It stayed running but idled a little rough and after running on the lake for about 5 minutes took it back to the dock and turned off and retried to start which it did, Does anyone know what might be going on, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 4.3 GL start up issues

How long have you owned this boat?

Have you done any maintenance, like checking (not just replacing) the water separating fuel filter for water? Tuneup?

Did it smooth out after 5 minutes or so?

Maclin

Admiral

The button on the shifter puts in into throttle only mode and lets you move the throttle on the carb without being in gear. Carbs need a few pumps with the throttle to get the choke to set and also to squirt some fuel in for easier starts. This is the nature of engines with carburetors. If you only have experience with starting modern fuel injected cars this may be the exact opposite of what you have been taught about starting an engine.

When cold, move the throttle (in throttle only mode using the button) forward to almost full throttle and back a couple of time, then hit the key to start. Move the throttle slowly forward until it catches and move back as it idles down, you may need to leave the throttle advanced for a few seconds to keep it going.

paulamerson29

Recruit

I have owned it 3 years now, and get it serviced each year, I will check the fuel water separator, after I find it.

thanks for the quick replies.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Do you have any idea what is being done during those services? I would hope the filters would be part of the service.

If you don't know what they are doing and what you are paying for, then you have a problem right there.

Here is a link to the Volvo site where you can dowload the owners manual. It gives you a lot of good info.
Publication search - Publications / Manuals : Volvo Penta

Just type in 4.3GL-J in the engine type box.