92 Crestliner with Volvo Penta 230a/sp overheating

bluedevil99

Recruit
OK so I just purchased this boat and took it out on the lake. It did fine during one round about the lake and then we stopped and did some fishing. After this I fired it back up and started cruising around the lake at a no wake speed. After about 10 minutes I started to hear a whining noise and seeing some steam rise from the engine compartment. I instantly shut it down and limped back to the dock via trolling motor.

Upon doing some research I opened up and looked at the impeller. It was complete destroyed. Not a single intact paddle left. So I ordered a new one and put it in hoping that this was going to fix the problem. Well it did not.

I hooked up the earmuffs and ran the hose to it. It started right up but once again hit 190 and kept on going and started to steam. So once again I shut it down and checked the impeller again. Impeller was fine but there was not a single drop of water in the impeller housing.

I did some more reading and found that it might be air locked. So I opened up the reseviour and put water in it while it was running. It sucked the water right down with no issues but then after a couple of minutes it once again started to overheat.

So with my very limited knowledge I am beyond lost on what to do next. Any help would be more than appreciated.

yeti122

Cadet
Re: 92 Crestliner with Volvo Penta 230a/sp overheating

There are two seperate water sytems on your engine the motor and the sea water which come together while still seperate in your reseviour tank. If your sea water impeller got ate up all the pieces had to go somewhere cause it could be blocking exhaust side of the sea water system. Flush the reseviour and inspect further. as far as no water you may have developed a air leak on the intake side of the sea water pump system. If your running it on muffs and it wont get any water try you could try disconnecting the rubber hose that attaches the copper pipe to the stainless steel one that goes out the rear of the boat to see if you have a blockage. any air leak on the sea water pump cover or any part on the intake side will result in losing your prime which equals nothing but air. also for me muffs didnt work so well due to the shape of the stern drive and the hole in the bottom of the stern drive which has to be plugged. i use a heavy duty black tub i picked up from tractor supply to lower the unit into.

bluedevil99

Recruit

When I ran it with the muffs I did not have that lower hole plugged. Could that be a reason as to why it wasn't getting any water?

I am new to the whole boating world and this is my first boat that I just purchased and was told that it was ready to go.

yeti122

Cadet

The only way i have found out half the stuff that i know now is either trial and error or this forum.Good luck.