Volvo 4.3GL Trim control toggle switch repl/fix - need help finding part number/ideas

The_Other_Dave

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 99 Monterey 180M with a Volvo 4.3GL-PWTC/SX stern drive.

The trim up/down toggle switch on the throttle works but it will stick
in the up position sometimes because (it feels like) the spring that makes
it a momentary switch (i.e. returns it to off) is weak.

This means that you have to be very careful when trimming up to ensure
the switch returns to neutral.....otherwise you can be running along under power
try to trim a little and then drive might start to trim full up......happened once to me! :disillusionment:

So a couple of questions:

1. Is the throttle handle assembly a volvo part...or does each boat manufacturer source their own?
I am assuming it is a volvo part but I can't find the answer.

2. Is there any diagrams available with part # breakdowns for the throttle/shift/trim handle assembly?
I have searched through the part listing on the iboats volvo store with no success.

3. Are there replacement parts (up to and including the entire assembly) available anywhere?

4. Has anyone had any success breaking down and rebuilding the portion of the handle with the trim switch in
it?

I have thought of a couple of non-intrusive (to the throttle anyway) solutions:

1. A separate trim-enable switch momentary button - this doesn't fix the sticking just the "stay on" portion of the
problem. it would switch on/off the power to the throttle trim switch. It has the problem of possible requiring 2 hands to operate.

2. A piece of foam stuck on the top of the trim switch that would add downward force to the switch. This has the
possible problem of forcing the switch in the down position but that is better than up. But this solution is a little too much duct tape engineering for me.

Any insight or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

The_Other_Dave

Seaman Apprentice
Updating my own questions

Updating my own questions

I think I have most of my answers.

To find side controller on the iBoat Volvo part listing you have to look under "Accessories".

So I found it

Side-mounted controls - Volvo Penta 3885624 - Volvo Penta

But iBoats doesn't seem to have an exploded view for the parts under it.

So I google searched and found the exploded view here.

Volvo Penta Exploded view / schematic Control, Side Mount Controls and Cables - MarinePartsEurope.com

The trim switch does have a part number and if you search for it on iBoats you can order it from the volvo
store here....so I did.

Doing some more searching it turns out it is a Teleflex/Morse SL-1 controller.

You can find the teleflex "installation" manual here.

http://www.fjblasco.es/web/manuales/teleflex/mandos/mandosSL-3.pdf

But the manual isn't clear about how to disassemble the top of the unit to get to the trim switch.....anyone seen instructions or have experience doing that?

Thanks again,

Dave

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo 4.3GL Trim control toggle switch repl/fix - need help finding part number/i

I had the same problem with that switch and ordered a new one and replaced it. I would order 2 as mine is starting to do it again.

SWITCH VOLVO PENTA 3856844 on eBay!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo 4.3GL Trim control toggle switch repl/fix - need help finding part number/i

been a few years but I don't believe it was more than a 15 minute job.

boater50

Cadet

I have a 99 Monterey 180M with a Volvo 4.3GL-PWTC/SX stern drive.

The trim up/down toggle switch on the throttle works but it will stick
in the up position sometimes because (it feels like) the spring that makes
it a momentary switch (i.e. returns it to off) is weak.

This means that you have to be very careful when trimming up to ensure
the switch returns to neutral.....otherwise you can be running along under power
try to trim a little and then drive might start to trim full up......happened once to me! :disillusionment:

So a couple of questions:

1. Is the throttle handle assembly a volvo part...or does each boat manufacturer source their own?
I am assuming it is a volvo part but I can't find the answer.

2. Is there any diagrams available with part # breakdowns for the throttle/shift/trim handle assembly?
I have searched through the part listing on the iboats volvo store with no success.

3. Are there replacement parts (up to and including the entire assembly) available anywhere?

4. Has anyone had any success breaking down and rebuilding the portion of the handle with the trim switch in
it?

I have thought of a couple of non-intrusive (to the throttle anyway) solutions:

1. A separate trim-enable switch momentary button - this doesn't fix the sticking just the "stay on" portion of the
problem. it would switch on/off the power to the throttle trim switch. It has the problem of possible requiring 2 hands to operate.

2. A piece of foam stuck on the top of the trim switch that would add downward force to the switch. This has the
possible problem of forcing the switch in the down position but that is better than up. But this solution is a little too much duct tape engineering for me.

Any insight or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Dave

I replaced mine 2x over the past 3 years....each time I had to order the trim switch encased in the front part of the control handle- does that make sense? The last one I ordered was about $57 and it was an Evinrude/Johnson kit...P/N 0176530...I have a '96 Volvo 5.7 DP....should be similar to yours......oh, the label on the box (I kept it for next time!) also says; "Kit AY, Trim SW CSM......my mechanice had a heck of a time removing part of the control.....hope this helps!!-
Steve

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Steve, fortunately, he doesn't have your control. I used to have the one like you do too until I replaced mine with the one the OP has.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I presume you have given it a good spray of WD40.?

The_Other_Dave

Seaman Apprentice

Update:

This switch is easy to change. Just 2 screws on the bottom of the throttle handle.

The only hard'ish part is that the wires are soldered onto the switch and must be
de-soldered before being soldered onto the new switch.

Dave

bunker108

Chief Petty Officer

I need to tackle this job too as I am having the same problem with my 98 4.3GL.
I'm going to try a shot of lube to free it up temporarily. I am aware of it so it's not a problem for me...just when others are running the boat.

The_Other_Dave

Seaman Apprentice

I wouldn't lube it......squirting lube into an electric switch is (in my opinion) bad karma.

The problem I found wasn't that it was sticky. It was that the return springs in the switch
were weak. No amount of lube is going to fix that.

I need to tackle this job too as I am having the same problem with my 98 4.3GL.
I'm going to try a shot of lube to free it up temporarily. I am aware of it so it's not a problem for me...just when others are running the boat.