Volvo Penta 4cyl ignition/tune up question

jschul87

Cadet
I have the 1997 Four Winns Horizon with the 4 cyl volvo penta engine. I am looking to do a tuneup on it this spring as i bought it used last year and it rand good but when i winterized it 2 of the 4 plugs were corroded and the ignition wires look like they are the original ones and have seen better days. I have looked online and have seen Volvo 4cyl wires for sale from $100.00-$139.00 just for the 5 wires. Does that seem right? Also can i use a different wire? I have seen ones for the Merc Cruiser go for 34.99 online. Also what are some other things i should look to replace this season as the previous owner had it in a garage for 2 years and did not drive it. I was going to take it to a service center but the closest one to me that will touch the Volvo Penta is 65 minutes away. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta 4cyl ignition/tune up question

Sounds to me like you are just looking up 4 cyl Volvo without any regard to engine model number. Go here Ignition 3.0GSMLKD, 3.0GSPLKD - 7797390 - Volvo Penta
(it's the iboats Volvo OEM parts and look at item 27. $46 for the set. aftermarket are even less. The Mercruiser wires are the same as long as you are using the ones of the same year and distributor type.

I know the old OHC engines had spendy plug wires, but you have a standard 3.0L GM marine engine.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

What Don said!

Spring maintenance is usually just a tune up and wp impeller. But since it's been sitting you should do an engine oil and filter change along with outdrive oil change and the fuel filter too. Usually you do these before stowing for winter but I'd do it now before hitting the water.

jschul87

Cadet

Thanks for the info! I used the link to order the cables, plugs, distributer, rotor, fuel filter and impeller kit. I already changed the oil and filter int he fall when I winterized the boat so that is good to go. Good info on the impeller and fuel filter, had not really thought of that untill you mentioned. I do have another question that just came to mind though. Last seaon when I would first start the boat the engine would squeal really loud for about the first 3-4 minutes then it would run normal. I thought it was the altenator belt so i adjusted that and it lessened the loudness of the squeal but it would still do it. It also would squeal when we were underway and i would adjust the trim. Any idea what i should be looking for or to replace?

Jason

captmello

Captain

Still sounds like the alternator belt. A new belt may be the answer, the old one is probably all glazed from slipping before.

jschul87

Cadet

Ordered a new belt as well. Everything should be in next week so when i pull the boat out and get everything changed out ill let you know how it turned out. Thanks everyone for your help!