Volvo AQ125B Raw Water Pump Leaking Water.

djjojola

Cadet
Hello all

I have an 1985 Bayliner With an AQ125B 2.1 liter engine. I replaced the inner seal for this water pump and it is still leaking. Any suggestions?:confused:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo AQ125B Raw Water Pump Leaking Water.

That inner seal will not leak externally, it will allow water to get into the oil. If that is happening, it may be the bushings and shaft are shot. How do you know it's the pump leaking?

Alan Lloys

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Having both an AQ125A and a B version I can say that there us really no way I can see for water going from the fresh water pump to the oil. These engines have closed loop cooling with a heat exchanger cooled by the fresh water.

I replaced the rear seal on my pump last year and it worked out perfect. You must take a close look at the shaft though that is driving the impeller. Make sure there is no buildup or score marks on it. If the shaft is not very smooth it will just leak again like you are seeing.
Also be very careful when you install the seal. Install it with the water pump out of the engine so it goes in straight. Then lube up the shaft before you re-mount the water pump.

Let me know if you need additional help. I am currently rebuilding an AQ125A engine as a hobby and to have as a spare for my AQ125B engine in my 1950 cuddy.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Having both an AQ125A and a B version I can say that there us really no way I can see for water going from the fresh water pump to the oil.

True, not sure why I thought it would. I must have been trying to put the 125 pump on a diesel. :facepalm:

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer

Hello all

I have an 1985 Bayliner With an AQ125B 2.1 liter engine. I replaced the inner seal for this water pump and it is still leaking. Any suggestions?:confused:

Time for new bushings. I just ordered new ones for my pump. $3.00 part and not hard to install when you learn the trick for getting the one out of the brass pump cover.

When the bushings inside the pump wear out, the shaft is no longer centered in the seal, it pulls this way and that based on pressure from the rubber impeller. The water leaks out.

But first make sure it's not the watertube rubber gaskets, Tubes need to sit correctly or they leak also.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

$3.00 part and not hard to install when you learn the trick for getting the one out of the brass pump cover.

Please share! I'm very curious how to get that bushing out.

Mullin

Petty Officer 1st Class

I don't think this is hi-jacking..

No way, totally on topic. :tea:

And to the OP. Sounds like you need the whole repair kit instead of just the seal. Either the shaft has a bad groove worn into it or the bushing has too much slop, or both. This one fits the 125a for certain, better double check the numbers for your motor: Mallory Impeller Kit 9-45705 - iboats

djjojola

Cadet

Thanks allot guys. I'll buy the whole repair kit. That was great info on this pump. when I start work I'll try to post each step for the rebuild. I may have to talk to you again Dennis461 for some more info when I get to the bushing on the brass pump.