1995 volvo penta 3.0 gs

cmfc

Recruit
Hello iboaters,
I am a new owner of a 1995 glastron 175 ssv with a penta 3.0 gs motor . sx series trans. i am having starting issues. i been all over the web and can not get a answer to my problem.
Problem
- i am not able to start the engine and have it idle for any more then a few seconds, a few times after filling the carb bowl it would idle but then cut off when throttle was advanced. fuel wasnt getting to crab.
boat did sit since october with a full tank of gas, last time known of running, carb filter was gummed up, once fuel line an carb filter was cleaned she ran well (so i am told)
Currently
when it does start to idel its normally off of starting fluid then cuts off.

-i have verified fuel to the carb by cranking the boat with a fuel line disconnected at the carb, cleaned the carb, verified acclerator pump operation.
-plugs where changed, i did not change the cap nor adjust timing
- i noticed the fuel cut off poppet in the carb bowl does stick but a slight tap on the bowl it releases.(on the way to get a carb rebuild kit)

What else should i look at am ichasing the wrong path(fuel) should i look at timing? thanks for any help!

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1995 volvo penta 3.0 gs

If the carb filter was gummed up (gum not dirt) then the stuff is in the carb as well as the rest of the fuel system. Probably going to need a carb rebuild for sure, change the filter in the fuel pump, and install a water separating fuel filter between the tank and the fuel pump.
That gum comes from OLD fuel. So hard to say what's in the tank, and I learned a long time ago to never believe the previous owner unless you are very good friends with them, then it's even iffy at times.