AQ125 removal from 83 Bayliner with 270 out-drive

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK, I have searched the forums and found some information, but my OCD says I need more. I am planning on removing my AQ125 from my boat next weekend and want to make sure I am doing it correctly before I start. When looking at the coupling between the 270 out-drive and the engine I see a bell housing with 6 bolts. While looking at other like engines on youtube I noticed they all have the bell housing attached, so my first question is, will removing the 6 bolts be all that is required to remove the engine from the out-drive and the boat, or is there something else I need to do? OR, does the bell housing with the 2 "O" rings that fits into the drive need to come out with the engine as well? Second, since I will also be removing the out drive,and it was just completely rebuilt about 2 years ago, I was planning on trying to keep that in one piece when I remove it from the transom, is that also a good idea if I am able to remove the engine separately, or does the out-drive need to be dissembled from the transom shield? Sorry for the stupid questions, but I was not able to find a video or how to on the web or in youtube on the procedure, and since I am a picture kind of guy I can handle the info overload. Thanks for the help in advance.

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: AQ125 removal from 83 Bayliner with 270 out-drive

Different people will tell you different things. The truth is there are different ways to pull the engine, you should do what's easiest for you.

I tried to unbolt the engine from the bellhousing and pull it away that way, but I couldn't separate the bellhousing and engine while it was in the boat, so I pulled them together by unbolting the bellhousing from the transom shield. Either way is fine, but you may find that the bellhousing does not want to come off the engine so easily.

In both cases the outdrive can stay on, but the upper gearbox on the outdrive needs to be removed if you want to pull the engine and bellhousing together.

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, Next question, How do you remove the Upper gear box? This is my first I/O and have always had outboards so forgive my stupid questions. Also, once the upper gear box is removed, is there an obvious clamp I will need to loosen or remove to release the bell housing from the drive? Lastly, In your opinion, which is the easier and or best way to go?

Nickypoo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here is the manual for the outdrive Boatinfo - Volvo Penta AQ270 SternDrive Service Manual

To remove the upper portion of the drive, you will need to remove the two bolts and two nuts securing the upper unit to the mid unit. The two bolts are accessible by removing the front cover. Then loosen the hose clamp securing the rubber bellows to the upper. The upper should now be able to come out, and the U-joints should slide away from the bellhousing if you try to pull the upper out, if nothing is rusty. I think there may be some circular shims in between the upper and mid so don't lose those. Cover the open top of the drive so junk doesn't fall in there. You can bolt the upper back on the outdrive after you pull the engine to keep everything safe. I would suggest replacing the o-ring that seals the upper while you have it off. You aren't supposed to reuse them.

For me it was easier to remove the engine and bellhousing together because the bellhousing just did not want to come off. But for other people the six bolts that bolt the bellhousing to the transom shield are seized. I would recommend pulling the upper and removing the engine and bellhousing together. Try to remove as much stuff as possible from the engine to make it lighter, such as the starter.

If you want to remove them together, the only things holding them to the transom shield are the six bolts on the back inside the transom shield.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Remove the upper like this.

attachment.php

Then remove the clamp ring by removing the 6 bolts holding it in.
Like this.

attachment.php

Attachments

• rubber rings.jpg
    rubber rings.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 4

Okieboatguy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thank you both very much, that was exactly what I needed.

sc6654

Recruit

Remove the upper like this.

attachment.php

Then remove the clamp ring by removing the 6 bolts holding it in.
Like this.

attachment.php

Ok how do I get the helmet to tilt up. I have removed the two bolts, what's next? How do I get the pin out, I have tried the two 6mm bolts and all that happened is brake the bolts.

Last edited:

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Old thread but take the two allen bolts out.
start screwing in the removal bolts.
The pin should start lifting up.
You may need to 'tap' the helmet down if it starts to pull up with the pin.