1989 Baretta 185 with 4 cyl volvo penta

Randflorida

Seaman Apprentice
hi i just bought this boat and I am unable to find the firing order of the distributor to make sure the wires are hooked up correct because it 'pops' on every third or fourth rotation and seems to be out of timing or something. does anyone know how I might find the firing order?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1989 Baretta 185 with 4 cyl volvo penta

1, 3, 4, 2

captmello

Captain

Timing belt could also be the cause.

Nice to see another Baretta owner on the forum, Welcome!

John2037

Petty Officer 3rd Class

4 banger does not have a chain - Original OEM has fiber gears, which may be worn or faulty. I have read on here that a few people had problems with the fiber ones - if it's been rebuilt they're aluminum and probably fine. In my experience with the 4cylinders, if the wires were wrong, it's really noticable if it will even run. Kinda a pain to check the gears so I would double check the ignition timing and maintenance parts first.

Don S

His engine is an OHC, and has a timing belt with external aluminum cogged wheels, not fiber gears behind a timing cover.

Randflorida

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1989 Baretta 185 with 4 cyl volvo penta (misfiring)

Re: 1989 Baretta 185 with 4 cyl volvo penta (misfiring)

His engine is an OHC, and has a timing belt with external aluminum cogged wheels, not fiber gears behind a timing cover.

)( Hes right, timing belt. my nighborhood mechanic says that the rotor is slightly out at TDC and theres no more adjustment left in the distributor

Don S

The distributor may be installed improperly.
What's the model number of your engine?

Randflorida

Seaman Apprentice

The distributor may be installed improperly.
What's the model number of your engine?

)))Theere are two numbers on the plate exactly as typed below
1) Volvo Penta AQ1310 868111
2) No. 2200015791 1737

Don S

It's an AQ131D not AQ1310 those tags can be hard to read sometimes.
Below is a link to the OEM service manual. It shows how to set the distributor properly so you can adjust the timing. Those engines are really picky about dwell and timing if you want them to run at their best.

Service Manual

Randflorida

Seaman Apprentice

It's an AQ131D not AQ1310 those tags can be hard to read sometimes.
Below is a link to the OEM service manual. It shows how to set the distributor properly so you can adjust the timing. Those engines are really picky about dwell and timing if you want them to run at their best.

Service Manual

}}}Thank you kind sir. Perhaps you will answer another question (which may be in the manual and I will read it). I am used to mercruiser and am baffled as to why the shifter does not allow me to bypass in-gear movement so I can use the throttle only. kind of like using the shifter control as a gas pedal. It seems to not want to move unless I depress the button of which kills the starter mechanism and wont turn over till I bring it back to center and it locks in. I hope my explanation is not moronic

Don S

Hard to say what control you have to say for sure, but some have a button you push, some have a button you pull, some you just pull the handle out from the control to get throttle only. All of the dual action controls (Throttle and shift) have a throttle only position.

If you can't find it, post a picture of your control.

captmello

Captain

If it looks like this one, you need to pull the handle out of the base, toward your body to enter throttle mode.

controlpics001.jpg

Randflorida

Seaman Apprentice

once again you have done something profound for me. i went out and tested it after 3 days with a 'certified' marine mechanic and he/we couldnt get it started, i go and pull the base, open the carb and it fired up for about 3 seconds before dying. I think the timing is still out, but its a viable craft now. Thanks to your wisdom. He is fired. now I need to buy my own parts/equipment and do it myself

captmello

Captain

Profound...let's not get crazy.

the carb on that motor does not have a choke, so you need to give it a couple pumps and leave the throttle 1/4 open when trying to start. Hopefully, it will get easier starting as you get the ignition system ironed out. but it will never be a good cold starter.

there's lots of help on this forum if you plan to DIY.

Randflorida

Seaman Apprentice

Profound...let's not get crazy.

the carb on that motor does not have a choke, so you need to give it a couple pumps and leave the throttle 1/4 open when trying to start. Hopefully, it will get easier starting as you get the ignition system ironed out. but it will never be a good cold starter.

there's lots of help on this forum if you plan to DIY.

---thank you. i hope that i may ask for your advice again commander

Randflorida

Seaman Apprentice

not what you said was profound, but my understanding of this boat didnt let me see the forest for the trees on the release so the result was profound. the engine actually started for about 3 seconds. so I should have clarified.

I have another question for you capt mello. What is your opinion on this model boat. worth keeping if the motor and drive are in viable shape?

captmello

Captain

You cant judge a boat by its motor. Do you like the layout of the boat? Is the interior shot?

without seeing it in person, it's very hard to say. Whats your skill level, mechanically?

Those volvo motors are good runners and last as long as you want them to.

Whats the history on the boat? If the boat has a rotten deck and/or transom, you need to cautious.

The first step is assessing the engine/outdrive, so you're on the right path.

Randflorida

Seaman Apprentice

I can honestly say the floor/subfloor/stringers are thrashed from rearward to helm. forward of that the floor is solid. I dont even want to post a pic. I knew this going in. the transom seems very solid still, but how can i truly tell without drilling a hole in it? I have done stringer/ flooring/ fiberglass work before so im not scared of that and this boat is small and still has the fiberglass left from the stringers for a template

captmello

Captain

I can honestly say the floor/subfloor/stringers are thrashed from rearward to helm. forward of that the floor is solid. I dont even want to post a pic. I knew this going in. the transom seems very solid still, but how can i truly tell without drilling a hole in it? I have done stringer/ flooring/ fiberglass work before so im not scared of that and this boat is small and still has the fiberglass left from the stringers for a template

Well then, I guess the next step is checking the transom. If it's ok, the motor is your next move. A compression check would be a good, inexpensive start.

Randflorida

Seaman Apprentice

Well then, I guess the next step is checking the transom. If it's ok, the motor is your next move. A compression check would be a good, inexpensive start.

)))Yes I will do a compression check and check the transom. I have not done that before. do i drill holes around the transom to check it, or use weighted force against the surface to see movement?

I have a trim motor question. If the trim motor is functional, will it work (i.e. movement in the motor gears) with low hydraulic levels? i can see there is a leak in a seal(s). when i depress the trim key at the helm, i can hear the 'click' coming from the solenoid but no motor sounds.
R