Water in Oil - 3.0 GLM-C

David Barron

Recruit
2004 3.0 GLM-C 3869249 has water in the oil. A couple years ago I had to make a sudden trip overseas for several months, didn't get to winterize properly (the water valve for the Exhaust manifold was full of carbon, and didn't allow the water to escape). The Intake/Exhaust Manifold had a casting plug burst out, and cracked somewhere. I replaced it with Part number 3858850. Everything runs really well, but water continues to get into the oil. I conducted the air pressure tests and NO air escapes from the dipstick tube, or the spark plug ports, but I can hear and feel significant amounts of air come out of the valve cover where oil is poured in. All four cylinders are at 155-160 lbs of compression, no water in cylinders that I can find. Does this suggest that I should replace the head gasket and have the head lapped/trued? I appreciate your help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Water in Oil - 3.0 GLM-C

Probably a cracked block.

Drain and pressure test the cooling system of the block and see if it holds pressure. Just plug off the hose going to manifold and pressureize the hose from the transom to the thermostat housing.

Many times you can see the cracks if you pull the side covers off and look at the block behind the push rods.

David Barron

Recruit
Re: Water in Oil - 3.0 GLM-C

It does not hold pressure. Air comes out of the valve cover. No air comes out of the dipstick or the spark plugs. I will investigate the block for cracks when I take the head off. Thanks for your help.