290 dp-e & volvo penta repair's

bob1112

Recruit
My outdrive has been at a certified Volvo Penta repair station since September.

The problem started with a loud bang, followed by gear whine while returning to port.
We immediately stopped and inspected for damage from hitting something. No visible damage.
I had forward / reverse, so I limped back to port. The whine was variable as RPM increased.
The boat was towed to a Volvo Repair station for repair.
There's been four attempts, since September, to find and fix problems.
He's replaced the bellows, inspected u-joints, inspected upper for water damage, eventually replaced the lower unit with a rebuilt after finding gear damage.
Thinking it repaired, we attempted to move back to our home port and store for winter.
Prior to departing, the mechanic mentioned the whine has been replaced with a vibration that's noticeable when wheel
is turned full starboard before departing.
We departed and didn't get to far when the vibration became so bad, we returned to the repair station. Vibration was now continuous at any speed or wheel position. The vibration became worse as RPM increased.

The boat was stored there for the winter.
The mechanic has reexamined the upper and now says we have gear wear not damage just ware. That I expect on a
96 drive.
He now's recommending a rebuild of the upper because of gear ware.
I asked about the u-joints mentioned last fall and was told they really couldn't be inspected. Wasn't that done already?
I getting the feeling he just replacing parts at my expense until the problems fixed.
Would bad u-joints cause a vibration as described?
Anyone have an opinion on gear ware as being the cause of vibration?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 290 dp-e & volvo penta repair's

He now's recommending a rebuild of the upper because of gear ware.
I asked about the u-joints mentioned last fall and was told they really couldn't be inspected. Wasn't that done already?
Would bad u-joints cause a vibration as described?
Anyone have an opinion on gear ware as being the cause of vibration?

1. Gear wear will not cause a vibration like that. When they wear through the hardfacing on the gears, then they usually come apart fairly fast after that, but that shows up as big pitted looking areas in the gears. But it still doesn't cause vibration.

2. Absolutely ujoints will cause a vibration. Did you have water intrusion into the bellows? Water in the bearing for the primary drive shaft in the flywheel housing can also cause noise and a vibration if bad enough, and if that is the problem, may have damaged the flex plate on the flywheel as well.

I getting the feeling he just replacing parts at my expense until the problems fixed.

Does sound like that, he's also going after the most expensive first. The upper gears are like 1600 bux a set.

bob1112

Recruit

Don

I believe their was water intrusion. That's why the bellows was replaced.
The mystery to me is, there was no vibration prior to the problem or replacing the lower unit.
Just gear whine.
I'm no mechanic, but could replacing a lower unit effect u joints? I wouldn't think so.
If you opted for a fix would you go with replacing the joints?
One thing not mentioned. I'm selling the boat after repairs are done.

Don S

I believe their was water intrusion. That's why the bellows was replaced.
Then there is water in the ujoints and possibly the flywheel cover. Do you boat in salt or fresh water?

I'm no mechanic, but could replacing a lower unit effect u joints? I wouldn't think so.
Don't see how it could.

If you had water in the bearings, and it sat for a few months, the bearings get rusty and causes failure.

bob1112

Recruit

I boat in salt water.
I'm familiar with an engine flywheel but is there one in the drive? If so where is it and what's it do? Can a flywheel be checked?
So either or both could be at fault causing vibration?

Don S

I'm familiar with an engine flywheel but is there one in the drive?

No, the flywheel is on the engine and the flex plate is bolted to the flywheel.

Since you boat in salt water, if water got in the ujoints, or anything else months ago and then was allowed to sit and rust, then Yeah, you will get vibrations.

bob1112

Recruit

My engine is a fwc with jack shaft. So it sounds like we should target the joints?

Don S

Not the ujoints on the jackshaft, the ujoints on the drive. inside the bellows.