Upper gear bearing cover install

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I've got a question regarding the installation of this cover. Detailed in a separate thread, I unfortunately had to replace my upper gear case bearing cover. I ordered a new "used" one and I have a question about it before I install it- there seems to be imperfections on the mounting surface of the cover- I'll do my best to explain.....it almost looks like it was "re-decked" with a small dremel wheel but someone didn't do a very good job.

In the picture, the highest mating surface of the cover is referenced with the green line. The next step down, or the next step "in" if the cover is flipped upside down, is where the gasket sits and is referenced with the red line. The inner most rim is referenced with the blue line.

My question pertains to the highest mating surface where the green line in- on this replacement cover, this surface is not smooth, and if you run your finger along it you can feel some rises where some areas of the metal is slightly (.5mm to 1mm) higher than the surrounding surface. Are these imperfections going to be an issue? Based on the installation instructions there is supposed to be a gap, hence the need for shims- if I understand it right, since there is going to be a gap there anyway the slight imperfections on the surface shouldn't matter right?

Second question- on which surface do the shims sit- on the red where the gasket goes or are they further in on the blue area?

Last question, what are the tolerances for imperfections along the green and red surfaces? I included a closeup of the two most significant "gouges" just to the right of the red and green lines - again where the gasket will sit. Are these gouges something to be worried about? I dropped just shy of $200 on this cover and want to be sure it'll work.

As always, thanks everyone for the assistance!

Attachments

• Bearing cover.jpg
    Bearing cover.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Bearing cover 2.jpg
    Bearing cover 2.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 4

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Upper gear bearing cover install

There are no gouges in there that will be a problem, looks like new to me.

Take your old shims and find the surface they fit on, then you will know for sure. Then you have to reshim the top cap like this.

View attachment 7743008 EF and Newer SX DP-S drives 125.pdf

Disregard the last part about gear lash, that's for the next step in a rebuild.

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks Don,
my old cover had no shims so I ordered some. I was just concerned about the surface where the shims/gasket would go but you alleviated that! Thanks for the manual insert as well.
Thanks again as always!

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Don is there ever a case where reshimming isn't necessary? For example, ordering a new Volvo OEM top cover to replace the current one? Or are manufacturing differences between each cover enough that it is necessary? If the shimming is done incorrectly (too little or too much), what are common symptoms that you know of?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Any time you change the cap, it needs to be reshimmed. Those caps have manufacturing tolerences, and each can be ? .005 (as an example), which is why they are shimmed.