V/P dps outdrive water inlet hose nipple attachment

JoeCamp

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2008 vovlo penta 5.7 gxi with dps-a outdrive. Recently I had the boat out of the water having the trim pump/cylinders replaced due to a faulty trim pump. Since then I have had the boat on a lift at the dock with the outdrive trimmed up. While cleaning the outdrive yesterday I noticed through the port access window on the outdrive that the water inlet hose was not connected to the outdrive water nipple. The problem is that it does not appear that the hose slipped off at the hose clamp but rather it looks like it broke off from the water nipple. It is a clean flush break at the end of the hose so it seem like the hose just slipped off but when I run my finger inside the hose I can feel the metal that the hose and hose clamp are around. When I lower the outdrive the two ends meet but they are not joined tightly and there is no flange on the pivot housing side that I can slide the the hose onto. (I hope this makes sense). My question is if it is safe to lower into the water and drive to the volvo penta service dealer which is about half our away by water. Since this is a water inlet hose and it is still connected at the transom it does not seem like it would be an issue of letting water into the boat/bilge since this is the water inlet hose for the engine. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks Joe

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: V/P dps outdrive water inlet hose nipple attachment

It won't let water into the boat being off,
Trying to run to the mechanic is going to be the challenge.
As long as the end of the hose remains under water it should cool, so if you go at idle rpm there shouldn't be a problem. If you try to get on plane or go to fast, the hose will not be in the water and you will overheat and probably burn up the impeller.

The shop must have left the clamp off when they had it torn apart. Give them a call first, they may be able to fix it where it is.

JoeCamp

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the response. The ride to the mechanic is on protected waters (downtown fort lauderdale) so should be able to go slow. The hose clamp is still on the hose and when I look inside the hose I can see and feel metal tube on the inside of the hose so Im wondering if the metal flange broke off of the outdrive. It is flush and smooth at the hose end, and where it would attach to the pivot housing I do not feel a smaller diameter flange that the hose can fit on to. Im wondering if it broke off. Any insight on that? tks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Anything is possible. That's why I said have the shop come to your boat and look at it, I sure can't see it (or feel the fitting) from here.

JoeCamp

Seaman Apprentice

Ok, thanks for all the help. Will try that out . tks