Volvo exhaust manifold

Status
Not open for further replies.

planeracer

Cadet
Hello,
I just removed about 3 years old manifolds from my 350 volvo penta and Im not sure if I can use them again for 1 more season. They are volvo penta manifolds and its been used in saltwater. Im going to replace risers. If someone have any idea it is usable or not , pls., let me know

Thx

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 6

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo exhaust manifold

Those don't look bad. Get a machine shop to resurface the mating surface's.
Risers and manifolds can last as long as 10-20 years in salt water,if you flush them with fresh when your done.
The trick is to keep them full of water or antifreeze. Air is worse than water for rusting.
Once it starts to rust leaving it exposed to air will accelerate the rusting.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Clean the gasket surface to shiny metal and make sure the surface between the water passages and the exhaust passage are solid metal and not turned to a black carbon product. It needs to be about 1/4" wide.

planeracer

Cadet

Thanks for reply. Im going to resurface manifolds and install new risers. I cleaned one riser with electrolysis and wall thickness now is less that 1/4 inch. Kind of worry about water leak.

Thanks

planeracer

Cadet

Clean the gasket surface to shiny metal and make sure the surface between the water passages and the exhaust passage are solid metal and not turned to a black carbon product. It needs to be about 1/4" wide.

Hi,

I did what you recommended, cleaned out surface to metal and on 1 of manifolds , 1 wall between exhaust and water passage got only about 1/8 inch, it is to small surface to hold water from entering into exhaust area. To bad, I need to get a new manifold then.

Thx for the advice

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Replace the manifold and risers as sets, both side. Or you will end up with cooling problems on the old side.

planeracer

Cadet

Hi ,
I finally received my risers and now waiting for manifolds to arrive. I looked at risers mating and I found they have lower spots. All surface area been painted with black primer to protest from rusting. I didn't use lacquer thinner to remove a paint, I want to see all lower spots, and I used a blade to remove a paint from bad surface area. Now do I have to resurface them or gaskets will fill all lower spots?, any sealer do I need to use? I got oem Volvo penta gaskets I think, they are silver colored and on some writing on gasket like, a "polycarbon division, bssc" IM not sure what material they are made of. Thanks

1364060284_tmp_DSCF0165.jpg

Attachments

• 1364060908_tmp_DSCF0166.jpg
    1364060908_tmp_DSCF0166.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 5

psneden

Recruit
No Title

Just thought I'd add some pics here for those of you considering aftermarket manifolds, buyer beware... This manifold had about 20 hrs on it before some hard starts due to water leakage, and external leaks as well. The mating surface looked good and fresh milled before installation, but casting flaws speak for themselves after some (normal) exhaust heat.
GLM Exhausts...

Last edited:

chriskl

Recruit
Hello
I am looking to replace my Volvo 4.3 v6 gxi manifold and riser I need advice on the best for my boat at the moment I have the riser number 3889965 riser and not sure on the manifold number the engine is a 4.3gxi-Q
Not sure if I should be looking at a dry riser system if this is better at the moment it is a wet one.
Or if there is a better set a coated set sounds better just need help I am new at the boating seen ps boat lives in spain all the time in solt water I do flush it out when the boat is left
I live in the UK
THANKS

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If you can get Barr Marine exhaust manifolds and elbows the castings are good quality although the paint could be improved. They are about half the cost of Volvo OE exhaust here in the USA.

Jasaro

Recruit
I replaced mine today because one was leaking into the exhaust port and into the cylinder they had about 980 hours on them I’ve owned the boat for 2 years I crank the engine over with the spark plug out and some water came out the exhaust port not a lot I put some oil into the cylinder going to fog it tomorrow

Status
Not open for further replies.