Volvo Part # for Old style Dist cap?

cheechako

Cadet
Anyone have the Volvo Penta part number for the old Prestolite "Clip on" style distributer cap? 5.0 litre Chevy V8. 1982 It's amazing, cant find it on line anywhere. In fact most places selling caps dont even specify if it's the Ford or Chevy 5.0 litre! If you have the part number they are ready to sell you one, if not... they dont seem to know much at all!

cheechako

Cadet
Re: Volvo Part # for Old style Dist cap?

Actually I've been to that site, they dont show much at all really , just certain things, and nothing for the ignition system. It's an AQ200D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Actually, if you go to that link, and type in AQ200, then choose the D model it will take you to everything on your engine. Unfortuanately, it will only take you to the screw down cap.
Guess over the years someone may have change the distributor.
Might want to post a picture of your distributor unless you know for sure if it's a Prestolite or Mallory.

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Best number I can come up with is; 835702-2 it's a clip style cap for a Prestolite (Like Don said, check the brand of distributor you have).
I found it listed in AQ200D/F electrical, for distributor number 834855, part number 5 described as "cardboard tube"....

cheechako

Cadet

Ah, thanks guys, I went back to that site and was able to find more info..... ( I originally mised the "show all" feature) although I think their search by engine doesnt really refine it down to a particular engine, it's still helpful.(six dist caps for an AQ200D?) It's a common cap used on Chevys for gazillion years. I can get one at the auto parts store , but figured I should get a Volvo one if possible. I'll check out that 835702-2

cheechako

Cadet

Well......... the plot thickens............ searching on the web, the 835702-2 is for a Ford inboard engine and some Crusader. I'm beginning to think that maybe that Prestolite distributor cap fits a number of Presto distributor applications......Tired of screwing with this!.... I just bought that genuine Volvo cap.... I'll post how it fits when it gets here :>)

RogersJetboat454

Commander

Well......... the plot thickens............ searching on the web, the 835702-2 is for a Ford inboard engine and some Crusader. I'm beginning to think that maybe that Prestolite distributor cap fits a number of Presto distributor applications......Tired of screwing with this!.... I just bought that genuine Volvo cap.... I'll post how it fits when it gets here :>)

Doesn't surprise me at all.

Prestolite was making making marine distributors for various different brands of engines. They weren't trying to copy a FoMoCo, or GM distributor, it was their own design. So that being said, there was no reason to not use one style cap for any V8 engine. The engine doesn't care that the same cap could be used on a Ford or Chrysler. All that mattered to the engine was that the parts from the neck down (shaft, drive gear, etc) matched what a factory distributor was like.

Buy an aftermarket Mallory or MSD distributor for your hot rod nowadays. Same thing. The cap and guts for the V8 distributor are universal. It's the shaft that's different.

cheechako

Cadet

I noticed many of the Mallory's use the "clip on" cap too... maybe they are the older ones. This engine's only got a little over 1000 hours on it, so I would imagine things like the Distributor etc aren't that worn. That's probably the equivalent of maybe 45000 miles on a car....

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Take it to an auto parts store and compare them. WAY CHEAPER!!

cheechako

Cadet

Take it to an auto parts store and compare them. WAY CHEAPER!!

Yeah, if the one I bought doesnt fit, I will. I've noticed the genuine Volvo seem to have copper contacts. Most the cheap aftermarket ones have aluminum contacts.