Volvo Penta raw water filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greebo

Seaman Apprentice
In the process of getting my 1993 230A running, I have noticed that the raw water filter assembly (sea water filter) is showing its age. It is starting to show signs of breaking up, and I would like to take some proactive action before it fails on me.
I did consider replacing it with original parts, but with the housing itself (part number 856100) costing about US$210 and a fair bit more in Oz), plus the filters, cover etc. the cost of replacement of the whole unit seems to be around US$500. To me, that seems to be a really expensive piece of plastic which performs a fairly basic function and may have a limited lifespan.
I am thinking that perhaps I could replace the whole assembly with another filter - I'm thinking I could get a raw water filter from an irrigation watering system, or perhaps from a sump pump, that could do the same job as the original at a greatly reduced price. As the raw water comes from the sea water pump, I would not think the pressure would be too great even for a plastic one, although there would be a significant water flow. A stainless steel one would certainly take the pressure and water flow involved.
For example, a 1 1/4" stainless steel 'Y'' filter seems to be available on Evilbay for around $30 delivered, a 2" one for around $60 (with 1.00mm stainless steel mesh screen). I'm sure this would take the pressure and I would be able to plumb it in, even if it took a few fittings and improvision to do so. Even if I have to check and clean the filter after every use, I reckon I would be way in front.
Rather than reinvent the wheel, I wonder if anyone else has investigated the same idea and, if so, was it successful?
Alternatively, am I on the wrong track?
Any suggestions welcome.
Travel safe.
Peter

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Volvo Penta raw water filter

Ayuh,... Just get a Sea-strainer of yer choice, 'n go with it....

I don't think ya need a Filter per'se...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Ayuh,... Just get a Sea-strainer of yer choice, 'n go with it....

I don't think ya need a Filter per'se...

That filter is hard piped and plumbed into the cooling system and isn't something you can easily remove and replace with something else.
There are no hose connectors on the pump or the heat exchanger to just pop a hose on. It's all copper tubes with oring seals.
10034_1.png

Greebo

Seaman Apprentice

That filter is hard piped and plumbed into the cooling system and isn't something you can easily remove and replace with something else.
There are no hose connectors on the pump or the heat exchanger to just pop a hose on. It's all copper tubes with oring seals.
10034_1.png

Thanks Don S,
Yes, I know that it will some some serious improvision. But I don't think it would be impossible to do. I was hoping someone else had done some product development for me. I am hoping that if I try this it won't cause any damage to my motor, as long as I ensure that there is no risk of over-heating.I have already purchased new seals for the copper pipes but am trying to get a replacement sorted out before the original fitting fails.
I was successful some years ago at replacing the heater element in my Land Rover by improvising plumbing and that saved me a heap of cash and also from having to remove the dashboard to replace the leaking core. Mind you, that did entail cutting into the original pipework and having seen the cost of the Volvo copper plumbing I'd be very reluctant to cut into that.
I'm hoping that I can figure out a solution to replacing the housing and filter without having to have another morgage placed on my house.
Thanks again for your advice.
Regards

T2P

Cadet
No Title

I had a similar situation last year. The plastic fresh water strainer cracked and broke into two pieces. Did a repair using JB weld, a 3/4" diameter copper pipe, some metal sheets. It has been two boating seasons since and the repair is holding up. Please see the photos.
Volvo Penta A130A

Attachments

• photo231292.jpg
    photo231292.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 0
  • photo231293.jpg
    photo231293.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo231294.jpg
    photo231294.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo231295.jpg