Volvo Penta - SX Drive - Trim Cylinder Removal - Leak - Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

DDameron

Seaman Apprentice
Afternoon gentlemen...

Bit of an issue here... I have attached some photos to give you a better idea of what I'm dealing with here...

I have ran into an issue with removing my Trim Cylinder from the Volvo Penta SX outdrive. I have removed the C Pins and washers... that's it. Is there anything else holding this bad boy on or is it just the corrosion keeping it from budging? I have beat the living daylights out of this thing and still, no give. I cannot get the cylinder off the pin closest the boat.

If there is something I am missing, please enlighten me... if the 2 pins and 2 washers (1 on each end of the cylinder) are the only thing holding this cylinder on, I have removed those. If the corrosion is the issue... any suggestions on breaking the corrosion up so I can finish this project???

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
DDameron1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Re: Volvo Penta - SX Drive - Trim Cylinder Removal - Leak - Replacement

Using a heavy punch, drive the pin to one side. I would remove the pins entirely and grease them before putting them back on.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you had the drive off? Since I remove mine yearly, I never have problems taking mine off.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Using a heavy punch, drive the pin to one side. I would remove the pins entirely and grease them before putting them back on.

Out of curiosity, when was the last time you had the drive off? Since I remove mine yearly, I never have problems taking mine off.

Same here just a tap and poof. Your going to rebuild those cylinders..they are rebuidable.

DDameron

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you for the quick replies fellas, but are we sure those pins just slide out? This is a Volvo Penta SX outdrive... neighbor said something about "Cobra". I have whaled on both pins and not a budge... am I missing something here? I dont want to mushroom the end of the pins... and I have soaked the areas with PB Blaster for 2 days... still not budging.

Ideas? I want ot be sure those pins DO slide out on this drive, before I really give it a good beating :p

Also, I just bought this boat Sept 2012. If I had to guess, after seeing some of the other neglect to this boat, the previous owner never had this off before. (saltwater)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

They slide out. Use a big punch like I sad to keep you from mushrooming the ends. Make sure you also put some penetrating oil between the rams and the drive.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Power the drive while tapping out the pin...something is binding hard.

DDameron

Seaman Apprentice

Power the drive while tapping out the pin...something is binding hard.

Permission to treat me like the boat-idiot I am haha... what do you mean by "power the drive"? I wouldn't think running the motor and lower unit would have any effect on these pins and them being corroded to the point they cannot be removed. Is it the extra vibration you're looking to help shake the pins loose? Kinda dangerous to be beating on these pins with a prop 10 inches away spinning, eh? lol ...I'm certain I misunderstood you...

I am purchasing a large punch tonight after work... gonna try that with a baby sledge hammer. Hopefully this works because I am about frustrated with what should be, a simple project....

DDameron

Bondo

Staff member

Permission to treat me like the boat-idiot I am haha... what do you mean by "power the drive"? I wouldn't think running the motor and lower unit would have any effect on these pins and them being corroded to the point they cannot be removed. Is it the extra vibration you're looking to help shake the pins loose? Kinda dangerous to be beating on these pins with a prop 10 inches away spinning, eh? lol ...I'm certain I misunderstood you...

I am purchasing a large punch tonight after work... gonna try that with a baby sledge hammer. Hopefully this works because I am about frustrated with what should be, a simple project....

DDameron

Ayuh,... I believe what was meant is to tap the hyd.s up, or down abit to make sure it's not bindin'...

Go with a Soft punch, such as brass, or aluminum...

My guess is, the pins are corroded into the main housin' in the center, because they weren't removed, 'n Greased, regularly...

DDameron

Seaman Apprentice

My guess is, the pins are corroded into the main housin' in the center, because they weren't removed, 'n Greased, regularly...

This is brutal.... going to try this very thing tonight... will keep you posted. Thanks!

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

Well i now this sounds absurd but you could mix vinegar and water to 50/50 in a large barrel and dip the drive in overnight....it will break down the corrison...Dunno if it would compromise the drive however...dont think so. Vinegar about 2 a gallon geez. Or oxalic acid if you can find it locally in bulk very cheap and it will eat the oxidation is short order. Water close as soon as it dissolves the oxidation very thourgh rinse is in order and remove the prop.

DDameron

Seaman Apprentice

you could mix vinegar and water to 50/50 in a large barrel and dip the drive in overnight.... Vinegar about 2 a gallon geez.

I may be a few fries short a happy meal, but are we referring to regular white vinegar? If so, I'll be picking this up from the grocery store on the way home from work as well! Can't hurt to douse the corroded areas with it before and while I beat the living crap outta these pins tonight! Will keep you posted! Thanks!

smacks12

Seaman Apprentice

those pins being frozen is probably why your seals started leaking, I had to use a reciprocating saw and cut through my pins to get them off the drive and then still had to beat the pieces out of the cylinders yolks and the drive. what a job. you can bet I keep them greased now. they are next to impossible to remove once corrosion sets in

DDameron

Seaman Apprentice

those pins being frozen is probably why your seals started leaking, I had to use a reciprocating saw and cut through my pins to get them off the drive and then still had to beat the pieces out of the cylinders yolks and the drive. what a job. you can bet I keep them greased now. they are next to impossible to remove once corrosion sets in

Does anyone have a part number for these pins? I may just do this! Or, if I throw in the towel, the lucky mechanic I take this to may have to do this... saw them off... so it would be nice to know how much these pins are before I go destroying them.

Thanks!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

I believe its 3857431. $52

DDameron

Seaman Apprentice

I believe its 3857431. $52

Thanks!
O-Ring - #888864: $2.04
Bushing - #3853423: $1.13
Pivot Pin - #3857431: $43.03
Thrust Bearing - #3853224: $80.77 ??????????? wow~!

DDameron

Seaman Apprentice

UPDATE:
I just ordered (2) new pins... I figure cutting these #$%^*& off will be easier and less stressful! Plus, they were $8ea with $13 combined shipping... got lucky. There are (3) more available if anyone wants them! Snag um up fast...

Volvo Penta SX Sterndrive 3857431 Pivot Shaft V83 | eBay

Hope this helps someone out!
DDameron

DDameron

Seaman Apprentice

Also, relative to this thread and as an FYI for any readers looking for the part number...

Just an FYI, the OMC trim cylinder reseal kit part number is 985060 (cost is $27.25 plus tax) compared to a new Volvo SX trim cylinder which is ($472.50 plus tax each)...

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Thrust Bearing - #3853224: $80.77 ??????????? wow~!

That is the main thrust bearing for a 4.3 (and other v8's) for the crankshaft. Might want to check what you ordered.

DDameron

Seaman Apprentice

Trim Cylinder Diagram 1.jpg
That is the main thrust bearing for a 4.3 (and other v8's) for the crankshaft. Might want to check what you ordered.

Thanks Don. I did not order this thrust bearing, because I do not see it on my unit. However, when looking at the sterndrive diagram that I believe matches my unit, I see it listed in the drawling as #5... I only ordered #3, the pivot pin.

Going to attempt to cut the pins off tonight... new pins won't be here till Saturday... so give me time to clean up the sleeves and get the cylinder to the hydraulic shop to be rebuilt. The new boat lettering will be here tonight! Can't wait to rename her!boatNamePreviewImage-new.png

Will keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks for all the help gentlemen!

DDameron

DDameron

Seaman Apprentice

Update:
Received the new pins... beat the living crap out of both old pins... finally got the back one out and the pin closest the boat remains froze up inside one cylinder, but free'd up inside the drive... so that's good..

Now to just cut it off and put that cylinder on a press or clamp to get it the remainder out. Cannot remove hydraulic lines due to corrosion... so I gotta rebuild the cylinders while on the boat. Received the OMC trim cylinder reseal kit part number is 985060, for the Volvo Penta SX drive trim cylinders.

The more I dig into this thing, the more I realize just how much the previous owner neglected it!

One thing went right this week... new vinyl lettering came in!
Aquadesiac Back.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.