Starter driving me crazy 5.0 volvo penta gl

iamalienru

Cadet
I bought a boat that seemed to have a starter problem grinding noise when turning over pullies would some what turn but then more grinding. It would finally start and the motor ran perfectly. I bought a marine delco starter exactly like the one that came out . put the new one in and more ginding not turning over and then the starter just spins. No shims came out with the old starter. the flywheel from what I could see did not look that damaged. I thought maybe I wasn't getting the proper voltage to it but I have a brand new 800 cold cranking amp battey in it...Just pretty frustrated anybody got any ideas. thanks

John2037

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Starter driving me crazy 5.0 volvo penta gl

Maybe wrong starter - I would find what starter is supposed to be in there by the model or better the serial number then at least you would know you're working with the right one.

Maybe pull yours and compare with one at West.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What shape is the ring gear in? (all the way around) If it was damaged with the original starter, replacing just the starter isn't going to fix it.

Bondo

Staff member

I bought a boat that seemed to have a starter problem grinding noise when turning over pullies would some what turn but then more grinding. It would finally start and the motor ran perfectly. I bought a marine delco starter exactly like the one that came out . put the new one in and more ginding not turning over and then the starter just spins. No shims came out with the old starter. the flywheel from what I could see did not look that damaged. I thought maybe I wasn't getting the proper voltage to it but I have a brand new 800 cold cranking amp battey in it...Just pretty frustrated anybody got any ideas. thanks

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... you say, That damaged,...

If you can see Any damage, you've found the problem, 'n probably need a new Ring Gear....

iamalienru

Cadet

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... you say, That damaged,...

If you can see Any damage, you've found the problem, 'n probably need a new Ring Gear....

well I will pull the starter again and re examine the ring gear. But I think I might shim it and see if I can get a better match up. like I said earlier the ring had some wear but I didn't see any broken teeth.

wrench 3

Commander

well I will pull the starter again and re examine the ring gear. But I think I might shim it and see if I can get a better match up. like I said earlier the ring had some wear but I didn't see any broken teeth.
The teeth won't be broken just worn part way through.

llm21

Cadet

Hi, could you solve the problem? I have a 5.7​​-jf osxi and I get exactly the same. have read in other forums that can Sere tuning dealer or an aftermarket starter. please comment if you solve it was. thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to iboats llm21,

If you have a question, just start a new thread with your question, since you don't have the same engine why would your choice of repairs depend on what someone else found wrong with their engine? More than one or six things can cause the problem.

wkb2460

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What condition are your battery cables? If they are corroded, you might not be getting proper voltage to the starter.

iamalienru

Cadet

The bad news on this starter problem was the ring gear on the flywheel ..Motoer is bening pulled and new flywheel is being put on should be done this week. I know with my motorcycles especially the Harley a low battery will cause starter problems in time continuing to start with a low battery will ruin the starter. I wouldn't be suprised if this could have been problem with the boat. I don't know how the previous owner took care of it . I do know that the cca on the battery it had in was way to low it was about 450 the battery I put in is 850 amps hopefully always checking that the battery is fully charged befor starting will elminate some flywheel and starter problems