Volvo trim relays ... replacement numbers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Would the following relay be an appropriate replacement for Volvo Penta relay 854357?

http://hellahd.com/index.php/default/electrics/relays/mini-iso-relays/work-lamp-category-12/electrics-product-16/

Here's a photo of the OEM:

Capture.JPG

I believe the following relay is the replacement for Volvo Penta 1324492 (872300): 12 VDC Tyco 5-Pin Relay SPDT 20/30A (Formerly Bosch) 330-070

... am I correct? Hopefully I am and this will help other forum members in the future.

I just noticed I screwed up and posted this in the wrong forum ... moderator, please move to the proper forum ... my apologies!

RRitt

Captain
Re: Volvo trim relays ... replacement numbers?

that is a $3 relay. the terminal number 30, 85, 86, 87, 87a exactly identify it as a standard automotive 12V relay. commonly used on headlights, stereos, and alarms. Look for one with a bead of glue around the base of plastic housing. It helps keep out moisture. parts express and ebay are both good places to find good quality generics.

piperca

Petty Officer 2nd Class

RRitt, I was thinking that, but the 854357 is a diode protected relay, which most, if not all, of the $3 relays are not. The Hella link I provided appears to be a similar diode protected relay, but I wanted to makes sure that I wasn't missing something. The Hella sells for around $10 versus the VP $60.

The Hella has a resistive load of N/O 40 amp and N/C 20 amp. I'm not sure what N/O and N/C represent. The "Features" state that the relay is rated at 40 amps, continuous, which I think is acceptable ... but, again, I want to make sure. Any comments?

RRitt

Captain

The diode protects the coil from chatterring/humming if you use the relay with a cheap 120V wall adapter (for example with a home alarm, garage door opener, etc). Your boat should have a fully regulated 12v DC system. Buy the diode version if it is cheaper. The diode makes no difference in a boat or car.

the two numbers are max inrush current when the motor starts and maximum sustained current. on trim systems 30-20 is generally fine. However, some boats use a 25A slo-blow fuse on trim. you would need to either use a smaller fuse or a bigger relay.

IMO, the best relay for boating is the one with metal tab that also has a bead of glue around the base.

RRitt

Captain

that'll work. idk why they say waterproof. it isn't. the bead of glue is actually intended to hold the case together. it is an unintended benefit that it makes the relay water resistant. "waterproof" is supossed to have a ridged silicone boot and a sealed connector socket. You can get actual waterproof relays from mouser electronics but they are at least $10 each. If the inside of your engine compartment is underwater ... i think you have bigger issues than trim. nonetheless, I don't like it when people claim something in an ad that isn't true. It makes me wonder what other deceptions might be present. anyway ... that is a fine and good relay but it isn't waterproof.

ubdee

Recruit
It also isn't an approved relay for the use. It is not rated ignition proof, should any occurrence cause a bilge explosion and insurance survey find a non rated or approved relay in use they will not pay your claim. Stick to doing what you do and leave electrice alone.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Four year old, inactive thread. Read the Help Tip on top of the page.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.