cant get upper unit off volvo 270

Joe Campbell

Recruit
So I am trying to replace the bellows on my boat. The outdrive is a volvo 270. I have removed the bolt from the helmet, disconected the shift linkage, removed the two nuts, and the two bolts. From what I have read on other threads is that the upper should pull strait up then back allowing me to replace the bellows, but the upper wont seperate from the lower.:mad: I dont want to pry or beat on it not quite sure how to get this apart so I can continue. Thank you in advance for you help.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: cant get upper unit off volvo 270

Probably stuck from some corrosion. I usually just use a big screwdriver and pry up using the shift cable as a fulcrum just where it attaches into the drive. I also know not to go so hard as to damage the cable.

Joe Campbell

Recruit

Probably stuck from some corrosion. I usually just use a big screwdriver and pry up using the shift cable as a fulcrum just where it attaches into the drive. I also know not to go so hard as to damage the cable.

thanks Don. I have tried to pry up just as you discribed with no luck, I also threaded the nuts back on and used a brass punch and hammer to try and break it free with no such luck. Any other ideas?

Joe Campbell

Recruit

So I was finally able to get the upper and lower seperated with the help of a flat head screw driver. Was not my first chocie but it worked with no damage. Now the issue that I face is getting the driveshaft to seperate from the upper unit so I can slide the old bellows off/ new bellows on. Does this driveshaft just pull out or is further dismantle required? Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You just lift the upper gear box straight up off the coupler in the intermediate housing (probably what you are calling the lower) turn the upper sideways and pull it straight back off the engine.

Joe Campbell

Recruit

Yes I was calling the intermediate the lower. When I tried to pull it back it wouldnt come off but I just had to keep trying and it finally came off. Thank you for the help this site has been great.