Volvo Penta AQ 130 D overheating giving me fits

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranger55

Cadet
I Have had overheating problems this motor AQ 130 D. I Pulled the water pump today and the seal that goes against the block was in backwards. I am looking to buy a rebuild kit for this pump, seals, o-rings etc. I am not sure which kit I need. Also, there are no bearings is this pump, and some of the kits show bearings that come with the kit. Should there be bearings with this pump? and if so where do they go? This was how the pump was when i bought the boat and have had fits trying to figure out the overheating problem.

Any help this forum can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta AQ 130 D overheating giving me fits

Which pump are you talking about, the circulating pump or the raw water pump. The raw water pump is the pump with the rubber impeller in it, how does it look?

captmello

Captain

Marine Gasoline Engines for AQ115A, AQ115B, AQ130, AQ130A, AQ130B, AQ130C, AQ130D, AQ165A, AQ170A, AQ170B, AQ170C, AQD21A, BB115A, BB115B, BB115C, BB165A, BB170A, BB170B, BB170C, MB20A, MB20B, MB20C, MD21A - 7736850 - Volvo Penta

This is a link to the parts for the aq130. If you look at the cooling section, it shows breakdowns of the raw water pump. I have not worked on any of these myself, however, I have had overheating issues and they can be frustrating. from reading your other thread, your cooling system has been changed quite a bit. Using the through hull intake is fine as long as it is installed correctly. Bypassing the strainer is not a good Idea. It is there to keep the oil cooler from clogging up. If you have it, I would put it back on. Back flushing everything to make sure there are no obstructions is another step.

If the pump is not pumping properly, non of these matter. That is the first thing to do, make sure its pumping good!

ranger55

Cadet

Ok, so I took a look at the pump diagram, and it it clearly shows two bearings #14 and a retaining pin #15 that go into the pump. However, the pump I am looking in front of me I can see know way that bearings and retaining pin go in this pump. My pump does have the two seals #9 and the O-ring#8 but no bearings. Every thing else on the pump is exactly the same Yes the system has been modified and I will try to replace the strainer ASAP. Anyone else have any thoughts or advice help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Sorry, but we can only go by part numbers in the parts catalog, we can't see what you have in front of you. Until we can, it's hard to say what you have.
Post some pictures. How to Post Pictures - The Basics

ranger55

Cadet

I will try to post a couple of pics in the next day or two. If it helps my pump does say, J P 3/8 on the front cover.

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ranger if it is identical too mine. There should be two lip seals and an oring. Normally I would tell you too look on iboats, but there is a kit someone put together and is selling on E-bay for about $44. It has all three seals and the front cover gasket. There are no bearings in this pump. You also need to check your thermo stat.If you had water coming out of your exhaust ports of your outdrive then your pump was pumping. You either have a bad thermo stat or the ports in your exhaust manifold are plugged up restricing water flow.

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ranger it also has the impellar and drive coupling. Looks like the price went up a little. $47.95. Just go to Ebay and type AQ130 water pump in the search window and it should come up.

ranger55

Cadet

Thanks allbutwet! I took a look at the one on e-bay and that looks more like it. I plan on redoing the pump. Also, the previous owner removed the strainer so you could be right on with the restriction of water flow, corrosion or other. I have checked the thermostat and it is opening. I will remove the oil cooler and clean it out. Do you know if this exhaust manifold can be dipped in acid to be cleaned out, it is cast iron. Again, thanks so much to you, and all for the help...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

How old is the manifold?
Dipping a manifold is a waste of $$$
Profile,location?
Salt or fresh water?
Most people need an exhaust manifold.
On the outside they look great!!! Inside they can be nasty.I saw one that was beautiful!! The paint perfect.
I reached in and was inspecting it and touched it and pushed a hole in the side??
Even in fresh water they don't last forever???
The pump it has a CAM in it, it wears down and won't pull enough water.(it has to be really worn to go bad)
If your rebuilding replace that too.

sqbtr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

You can pull the end cap and elbow off that manifold and get a pretty good look at it, and rod it out while you're there. Good luck getting an original strainer for that, most rotted under the rubber coating and were removed anyway, I boats should have something that will work.

ranger55

Cadet

Update, rebuilt the raw water pump, two new seals, one o-ring, new impellar and gaskets. Pulled the oil cooler, no obstructions. Installed a small piece of clear plastic hose coming from the raw pump to the copper tube that goes to the oil cooler. no air bubbles in line, just water. Ran the motor and the idiot gauge still got just barley into the red.

When I hook the garden hose to the intake side of the raw water pump, applying pressure, it runs a little cooler I can watch the gauge and tell when the thermostat opens. A couple of days ago I pulled the copper tube coming out of the exhaust manifold there was water coming from the four holes on top of the manifold. If there was blockage at the exhaust elbow would that restrict water flow? could I be getting false reading from the gauge or sending unit? Not sure what to try next. suggestions appreciated.

Allbutwet

Petty Officer 1st Class

ranger I assume since your calling it an idiot gage it does not show degrees? Running temp should be around 160 unless someone installed the wrong thermostat. If you checked the thermostat it should have been full opened at 160. If you were able to get the copper tubes off of the manifold did you clean them out? I would pulll the end cap and the elbow, and the copper tubes and make sure there is no rust blocking any of the ports. Anything plugging up will cause restriction. The four ports are pretty small on top of the manifold.
And yes it is possible to get an incorrect reading from a gauge. Especially if someone put the wrong gauge in. The gauge and sending unit have to have the same ranges or you will not get accurate readings. Verify that you are getting an accurate temp reading before taking anything apart. I would hate to hear you opened it all up just find your temp gauge was off.
And I would not use acid to clean the manifold. A piece of wire and a shop vac used together works pretty good. Just dont get anything down the exhaust ports. And as far as the strainer goes you could always get some stainless screen material to make a strainer if you can not find one.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Loosen the manifold, take off the rubber boot. Post a pic of the end of the manifold.
Also. How long does it take to overheat?
No sure if your in the US or Africa?? Profile,location.
In the US , Home depot has a heat gun.$30 It will tell you if your really overheating.
Then when all else is checked,get a new manifold.

ranger55

Cadet

Thanks for the reply's/help. I am going down today to get a temp gauge that shows degrees to make sure I am getting an accurate reading. Yes I did clean the tubes, no restriction. If it is still overheating I will pull the end cap, elbow and tubes to clean the ports. I assume I will have to pull the exhaust manifold to do this? As far as how long it takes to overheat not long, maybe 5 to 10 minutes. Again thanks for the reply's. Allbutwet, great job on your boat, that took a lot of work...

ranger55

Cadet

Think I found the problem. Pulled the exhaust elbow today and I believe there is suppose to be a solid gasket sealing all but the round hole for the exhaust. I think the previous owner made his own exhaust elbow gasket and also cut out the horse shoe shape allowing all water to escape through the elbow before circulating through the engine. I won't know for sure until I replace the gaskets. However, can't find them online, the original volvo part # is 825558. Not sure if I can use regular gasket material? or is there some special gasket/material that I need to use on the front cover plate and the exhaust elbow.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I believe your wrong about the gasket.It should have holes in it.825558 is 827101 The pic shows holes in it.
Now that you have it off how bad is the inside?
The riser can be clogged at the end. Pics?

ranger55

Cadet

Ok here is what I have been able to find out. The original part # for the elbow and end plate gasket was part # 825558, this part was replaced by part # 827101. Part # 827101 has been replaced by 856028-6 / sierra part # 18-2929-9. Below is the link to the part I have ordered. I think this will resolve the overheating problem. I have been told that these exhaust elbows where made for several different volvo penta engines, and rather then casting different elbows for each model they just changed the gaskets. I could be wrong, I will know for sure when the gaskets I have ordered arrive. Will update...

Volvo 856028-6 replacement parts - Sierra 18-2929-9 - Volvo Penta

captmello

Captain

Have you downloaded the owners manual from the Volvo Website?

Here

Engine database - Engine database : Volvo Penta

In the "engine type" box, type in aq130d and it will give you some specs and downloadable docs. In the owners manual there is a simple diagram showing the cooling system flow and might help you understand it better. i don't think the elbow gasket plays a roll in the cooling, unless it is blocked, or perhaps incorrect...

Take some pics and post them so we can see what you're seeing.

Status
Not open for further replies.