Stiff steering on Volvo 290 Stern Drive

Gaelic Star

Recruit
The steering on my Volvo 290 outdrive is extremely stiff. I've removed the drive and the steering fork/steering helmet from transom shield, a nightmare of a job. This was very stiff and seized. However, on the detached leg itself the yoke pivot in the intermediate housing is virtually seized and barely moveable by hand. The manual calls this area the steering spindle or steering knuckle and its bushings and bearings on either end. However, it's not that clear on what to do to free up seized steering.

Does anyone know if I can resolve this without dismantling the leg and separating intermediate/upper/lower housing? Eg by using penetrating oil and movement? Does anyone have experience of this if so is it likely to work?

If this doesn't work does anyone have any tips on removing the steering spindle?

Any info or advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Stiff steering on Volvo 290 Stern Drive

You have to remove the drive from the boat, take the upper and lower units off, then press out the pivot tube and replace the bushing at the top and the bearing and seals at the bottom.

Gaelic Star

Recruit

You have to remove the drive from the boat, take the upper and lower units off, then press out the pivot tube and replace the bushing at the top and the bearing and seals at the bottom.

OK Don thanks,

This is the answer I was expecting but not hoping for. I guess I was hoping for a miracle. Problem is the leg is quite old and the connecting bolts are corroded in, seized and ready to put up a fight.

Cheers

Jim

Last edited:

Gaelic Star

Recruit

Managed to remove upper housing without too much difficulty.

However, the bolts coupling the intermediate housing to the lower housing are really stuck solid. Have tried heat (propane torch) penetrating oil and knocking with hammer, all to no avail. I'm concerned I may either snap the bolts or round off the hex insert if I go too hard on them.

Does anyone please have any tips for removal of these bolts? Do they go in the end with enough patience? Would more intense heat help?

Thanks.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I've broken bolts, even when using big heat (propane will seldom work). and have rounded off a few. Even drilled out a few.
Usually with care I get them.

Gaelic Star

Recruit

I've broken bolts, even when using big heat (propane will seldom work). and have rounded off a few. Even drilled out a few.
Usually with care I get them.

OK thanks again, will keep trying...