1995 Volvo 7.4 - 2 Oil Questions

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I've searched on my 2 topics but the information varied from thread to thread.

My boat is a 1995 Chris Craft 33 Crowne cruiser that I just purchased in November of 2012. Twin 7.4's with duo prop drives. Seems to Cruise at about 3000 - 3300 RPM, however I didn't really have any weight on board. I briefly pushed it up to 4200 RPM and was clocking 43 MPH on the GPS.

1. What weight oil should I run? I've read the manual which basically says SAE 30 compliant is good and then the weights will vary based on the temperature. I read multiple posts on that say Mobile 1, 15W 50 is a good oil for these motors. However I didn't see any 15W in the manual. The boat will never run when it's less than 50 degrees out. Any suggestions?

2. I paid certified mechanics to look the boat over before I purchased it. Compression tests were great and oil pressure was very good. However, when I check the oil though the dipsticks say it is WAY over on oil. At least 5 quarts on the 1 motor I can easily get to (yes it almost looks double). I read multiple times to not trust the dip sticks. Has anyone experienced something like that or are the motors most likely way over? Boat is winterized and it will be a few months before I can change the oil to find out for sure. Just hoping someone might have experience here. The motors sound great, run very smooth and no smoke.

Been reading on here for years, however this is my first post. Thanks in advance for any advice. -Nate

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1995 Volvo 7.4 - 2 Oil Questions

Hi Nate, welcome aboard iBoats! The weight of the oil used should have nothing to do with whether it is synthetic or regular. I would go with what the manual recommends. You shouldn't run the motors with the dipsticks showing more than where it should be on the hash marks. Sometimes when you have it winterized the mechanics forget to run the motor after they add the oil so the dipstick will show 1 quart over as the oil hasn't gone into the filter yet. But if after you start and run the motor it is still showing an overage that drastic then you need to suck out the extra oil. You can get a hand pump like this one:

Seadog Manual Oil Change Pump - Seadog Line 502006-1 - iboats

Or an electric like this one:

Economy Oil Changer Pump - Jabsco 17850-1012 - iboats

Just to be on the super safe side you might want to compare both dipsticks to make sure they are the same lengths. Assuming they are then take one down to your local Volvo dealer along with your make, model and serial numbers of your motors and make sure you have the right dipstick for your engines. If you do there's no reason not to trust what the dipsticks are showing you. If you don't have a dealer near by you can contact Volvo here to find out if you have the right length dipsticks.

Contact us - Contact us : Volvo Penta

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Curious why you think its 5 quarts over.

Also, depending on how your boat sits in the water, it can read a little bit high on the dipstick. At least my Volvo 7.4L does.

What is your model number?

aerobat

Master Chief Petty Officer

when its WAY over max level, alomost double like you write in any case investigate or you may run into serious trouble . sure its not a simple reading error ?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Your engine holds 9 qts of oil including the filter. Really hard to imaging it being that overfilled.

tpenfield

Staff member

Nate -

Welcome to iBoats. . .

So, the certified mechanics had no comment on the oil level being way over. :confused: If it is 'almost double', then the crankshaft is probably sitting in oil.

Keep in mind that when the oil level is high like that, it could possibly mean that water is getting into the oil. . . and that is bad, really bad. So, it would be a matter of determining if that is the case, or if the engine was just drastically overfilled.

As fa as type of oil, use what Volvo-Penta recommends for that engine.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

If your engine was 5 quarts overfilled, and that far above the dipstick, when running the oil would be so aerated from being hit with the crankshaft that the lifters would start making noise because the air in the oil compresses and the engine wouldn't run right.

Not sure what you dipstick looks like but if it has a stop on it that came loose you could push the dipstick too far into the engine and see a high reading. The mechanic probably knew this and just held the stop in place when he checked the oil.

Those engines did hold between 8 and 9 quarts with filter depending on carbed or fuel injected..

If you don't want to use the oil suggested by Volvo, the use what you want. If you look over in the Non-Repair I/O and Inboards forum, there are hundreds of posts asking the same exact thing. And every oil has been recommended by someone at some point in time.
Besides, I have never heard of an engine failure due to the type of oil used. Especially if you change it yearly as you should.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the feed back. I will be draining the motors of oil in the spring before they are started again. I'd do it now just to find out but I don't think I'll be pumping much oil out in this 20 degree weather. I didn't see any signs of water in the oil fortunately.

My Mercruiser the dipstick is off because of how the boat sits on the trailer. It always reads a little over full however i know the oil level is correct because I can pull the plug to drain that one and get it all out. I found I could change the level quite a bit just by lowering the trailer down a little ways.

I was just trying to a be mildly optimistic. However, I have read up on warning signs of being overfull and none are there.

9 Quarts?! Is that correct? I thought I had read 7 Quarts. I haven't really checked the manual for that part yet.

Once again thanks for the info.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

9 Quarts?! Is that correct? I thought I had read 7 Quarts. I haven't really checked the manual for that part yet.

Once again thanks for the info.
Depends on what model you have. That is why I asked your model number. You have the 290 drive or the SX/DP style?

Depending on the year, your motor may have the dipstick tube with the hose threads on the top of it. If you have that style, buy a pump that threads into that. Don't buy the type where you slip the tube down the dipstick as the diameter is so small with that type, makes it way more difficult.

Don S

The dipstick tube is hooked to the bottom of the pan, so you will get all the oil out when you suck it out of the dipstick tube.

Yes, it holds 9 quarts if it's fuel injected engine, according to the Volvo service manual for the HU models, but you haven't posted a model number yet, and year is only the year of the boat, not always the engine and drive package. It could be a year older, (common) or even see a couple with an engine the year newer than the boat.

Here is from the HU service manual.

Oil.jpg

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

but you haven't posted a model number yet, and year is only the year of the boat, not always the engine and drive package.

Sorry about that. I believe it is the GL model with the carbs.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

You need the whole model number. It will look similar to this 74GLPHUD

What is in bold indicates what is equivalent to model year.

Don S

GL stands for carbs, but what about the model number. That is where things change, need all those letters after the GL.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

The dipstick tube is hooked to the bottom of the pan, so you will get all the oil out when you suck it out of the dipstick tube.

Also is this a fact? This is another topic that is all over the board. I bought a pump with the plastic tub you run down the down the dipstick. I assumed the Dipstick tube must go to the bottom or exteamly close since it's threaded for a pump (I'm assuming)

Don S

You don't have to run a tube down the inside of the dipstick tube, just clamp the hose to the top of the tube and the oil will be sucked through the tube.

PS: I retired last year, after being a Marine tech (Volvo Certified) for way over 20 years.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

Don S. - Thanks for the info on the dipstick tube when changing oil. I will make sure to pull all the model numbers from the motors next time I'm at the boat (it's 3 hours away), before I ask any more specific questions.

I am glad you posted about the capacity of 7 quarts though. I briefly skimmed the manuals that came with the boat and the capacities chart I glanced at stopped with the 5.7, but I didn't dig for more specs.

I have what appears to be all the original manuals for the boat from the engines to the coffee pot and will bring those home on my next trip.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

I finally got to the lake and pulled the model

74GLPHUS

I quickly checked the dip stick on one motor and didn't see a stop on it. Let me know if the model helps at all. Hopefully I can pump it out in the next month or so.

Honestly it looked like it was 2.5 - 3 times over now. Appears to be making oil.

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer

Finally made it to the lake to dewinterize and I changed the oil. My dipstick was reading roughly twice over the full mark. I pumped what looked to be between 7 and 8 quarts out. Maybe a little over full but not twice. Oil pressure is the exact same after the change as well. Don't ask me why it read so far over but it's a big relief now!

Don S

Couldn't find a good picture of the dipstick, so if you could post a picture of your's it would sure help. Some have a stop and some don't.