Volvo Sea water pump

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
18626_0.png

I have been dealing with a fresh water pump leak for a while now and as usual just ran across the fact that Part 1 is considered the pump and this pump has a bearing on the outside of the shaft that cause's the failure...Is there a actual bearing that pulley it may be replaceable...a bit to cold to go out now and pull it for reference. I can find no fault in part no 6 and have replaced part 5 over and over again with the same failure.

If there is a bearing in the pump that would be the only cause i can think of that would cause the consistent seal failure.

6006-2RSC3 Ball Bearing 30x55x13 Sealed

And that would be the bearing....Edited to that could be the bearing,,,,that part number was crossed refrenced to a napa number which was the correct bearing..there is no way to know without the risk of a order.

Last edited:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo fresh water pump

Re: Volvo fresh water pump

It's called a sea water or raw water pump, Volvo doesn't sell any rebuild kits for those pumps, and I have never had one apart, So, if you don't get any replies then take it apart and look for bearing numbers.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Re: Volvo Sea water pump

Well i will do that..its just 25 degree's today so not today...Im just going to order that bearing and see how it turn's out..This pump is not going to beat me....i hope. I just wish i could get my big old noggin under that thing and isolate the leak or why the shaft burns out all the seal's. Everything else is tight and true.

smacks12

Seaman Apprentice

the bearing for that pump is skf 6006-2rs1. I just replaced mine along with the seal ring 827247. the bearing is on the pulley shaft behind the pump rear housing. I had to drill and tap the rear housing and installed set screws to hold the bear tight. its been working fine ever since. I think that's why vp don't recommend rebuilds

smacks12

Seaman Apprentice

if the shaft is damaged where the seal rides, you will have to replace the whole assembly .

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

So will this work...in my case the answer was yes..the shaft that drives the sea pump was not bent nor scored but the bearing and froze completely I was going to take off the entire assy but there was no reason to in this case so it was a simple as going to auto zone picking up a puller and pulling it off...The bearing was purchased from Napa 40 dollar's skf 6006-2rs1 ....bearing have gone up a bit.
waterpump001.jpg

waterpump002.jpg

Attachments

• waterpump004.jpg
    waterpump004.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 0

Tail_Gunner

Admiral

waterpump003.jpg

Cant tap the bearing on without some type of tool.... a deep well socket did quite nicely. It took a while but that's a expensive bearing..worth the time.

As easy as it look's...45 minuites on the hose up and down the rpm range (3500 limit) and no leaks...
waterpump004.jpg
waterpump005.jpg

One year later and no issues.

Time and time again it is posted to change the impeller every year.... after doing this bearing i have come to realize that this pump is a very robust pump heavy brass and a bearing that could be in any trailer axle...Now with that said it's all dependt on a .50 seal in the back of the impeller housing..that goes bad and water intrude's the bearing and that is the end of a well built pump..So not only the impeller but the rear main seal for the lack of a better word or description..That could easily save you 300 scoot's.

Last edited:

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I just remove the 3 cap headed Allen bolts and do it on the bench, but I have a lot less room in my boat.
A double lipped Viton seal is available in the same size as the original seal, but should last a lot longer. I got mine from:- Simply Bearings.co.uk But I'm sure a quick Google of "16x28x7 TB Metal Cased Double Lip Viton Rubber Metric Rotary Shaft oil seal with Garter" will turn one up in the USA.