Volvo 270 Stiff Steering Knuckle

elv_1986

Seaman Apprentice
Help! I have two Volvo 270 ourdrives which are suffering from the typical stiff steering syndrome! The cable has been replaced, as have the bushes in the steering fork.
Further investigations have revealed that the steering knuckle part of the intermediate outdrive is very stiff, and wont accept any more grease :-(

So far I have done all the work to the outdrives myself, but am a little bit confused how this part all comes to bits?

Could anyone help me with this? I am imagining it just needs pulling apart, all the grease and salt residue cleaning out and re assembling with new seals if there are any? Is it this simple?

I have a exploded diagram of the intermediate housing, which shows the knuckle and associated parts, but doesn't give a lot of insight to how it all come to bits.

Louis

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo 270 Stiff Steering Knuckle

I assume when you say knuckle, you are referring to the steering yoke assembly (item 2 in the image below).
If that is the case, you will need new bushings (items #10 and #11) and the V ring (item #4)

What happens is corrosion builds up between the bushing and the transom shield, which squeezes the steering yoke and causes stiff steering.
Remove the set screw #45 from the steering arm #44. Then pry the yoke down out of the transom shield from the outside of the boat. DO NOT try to drive the pin down from inside. The yoke shaft is aluminum and you will mushroom it over and never get it apart.

7464_1.jpg

Whe you pry the yoke down, do it like this with a bar on each side. Heat will usually help, and in extream cases, I have had to melt the plastic bushings out to get the yoke out.

Untitled1.jpg

Here is a link for parts http://www.volvopentastore.com/Conn...on_id.896735943--store_id.366--view_id.784581

elv_1986

Seaman Apprentice

Hi Don,

No, I have replaced these already. I found the best way to remove the steering fork was to drive wooden wedges in both sides. Mine were severely corroded, and this method worked a treat!

I am talking about the steering knuckle which is found in the rear of the intermediate housing. Number 23 in this diagram: https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/zoom.aspx?src=/PentaPictures1000/5972.jpg

The housing is very stiff to swivel on the suspension fork (9) in the above diagram.

Thanks,
Louis

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here is some information on how it comes apart. It's for the 280 drive (no info in the 270 manual), but the procedures for repair are basically the same. Your 270 has a different upper bushing, and maybe a couple of different spacers. Just use your part numbers.

https://dl-web.dropbox.com/get/intermediate.pdf?w=d9aa547b

elv_1986

Seaman Apprentice

Don, the link doesn't seem to work, i'm just getting Error 403?

elv_1986

Seaman Apprentice

Don that is brilliant! You are a star! Thank you so much for your help with both my problems :) Its really appreciated.
I will have a good read of the instructions and see if I can make sense of it all!

Thanks again,
Louis

ChrisinPHX

Seaman

This is exactly the info I need as well. But the dropbox link is dead. A re-up would save my Sunday! Thanks!!

nevets2001

Recruit

Hi i live in uk and have an old fishing boat with 2 x 250 volvo outlegs/ sterndrives. Boat was out of use for some time and steering is almost impossible to move left or right. It is free from all cables and moves up and down reasonably freely, i have been told steering bushes, does anyone know how they are changed and is it something that can be done by myself?. Does sound a simillar problem to the 270 in this post. Thanks for any help.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade

nevets2001, You stand a better chance of getting a reply if you start a new thread of your own, as this is rather buried as the original started on the 10th Jan 2013.