Volvo Penta Gi pwtr starter grinding?

I just replaced the starter and now it grinds so I removed it installed one shim and still the same outcome. Do I need more shims?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Penta Gi pwtr starter grinding?

Try another one and find out.

Bondo

Staff member

I just replaced the starter and now it grinds so I removed it installed one shim and still the same outcome. Do I need more shims?
Try another one and find out.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... 'n while yer at it,...

Look closely at the teeth of the ring gear,... Turn the crank, so you can see all of 'em...

Now I have three shims on there and still same noise but not as much.should I keep shimming? Is it because it is a aftermarket starter? The one I removed had no shims. Also maybe it's nothing but when I start it in neutral of course it grinds and the starter sounds like its winding so I move the throttle out of neutral to bit forward or reverse without actually going into gear and the starter stops winding and grinding. Is that a issue with the starter or the shift cable adjustment. FYI I just replaced shift cable. Thanks

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have never heard that it should be necessary to shim a starter on a Volvo (or Mercruiser). I would say that you have a wrong or faulty starter, or maybe the starter ring gear on the flywheel is worn/damaged.

But this other thing you mention, does not have anything to do with the starter. And I haven't got a clue on what could cause a grinding noise, because of an incorrect adjusted gear cable. Volvo outdrives have a coneclutch, and either they are engaged or not. It's not like an Alpha one that can make noise, if they are not engaged with a snap.

But Volvo has a procedure for adjusting the gearcable, did you follow that?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

What was wrong with the original starter? It could be a bad starter. Lots of the really cheap aftermarket starters are junk out of the box. You may have one.

bflm2001

Recruit

I had the same trouble with aftermarket starters. I checked the aftermarket starter before mounting it on the engine, and noticed that the bendix didn't fully extend like the original VP starter.
I found that the bendix drive does not push out far enough to engage with the ring gear. I put some temporary spacers between the solnoid and starter (just as an experiment) and the engine started with no grinding.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

The OP hasn't been on here since January. Don't post to old threads.