volvo penta aq 190 rebuild

rockypond

Cadet
hello I have e pair of AQ190 inline 6 engines I want to rebuild. does anyone have some thoughts about this . The engines
currently are not running , they are a 1976 with 3 carberators each. If I rebuild them how well do they how well do they
perform. thank you Rockypond

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: volvo penta aq 190 rebuild

An AQ190 is a 302 Ford V8.
I would guess you have the AQ170. Looks like this.
View attachment AQ170.pdf

The biggest problem you will have is finding parts. Most of the marine accessories on the engine are NLA from Volvo for that engine, if you do find them, they are expensive. Drive parts no problem.
When I say accessories, I mean carbs, ignition, alternators, linkage, brackets, manifolds, pumps, etc.

rockypond

Cadet

An AQ190 is a 302 Ford V8.
I would guess you have the AQ170. Looks like this.
View attachment 177797

The biggest problem you will have is finding parts. Most of the marine accessories on the engine are NLA from Volvo for that engine, if you do find them, they are expensive. Drive parts no problem.
When I say accessories, I mean carbs, ignition, alternators, linkage, brackets, manifolds, pumps, etc.

hello Don, thank you for the reply and yes these engines are AQ170s my error. The engines had about 600 hours on them before the starboard engine was taken apart, the person I bought the boat from said the port engine ran fine. now from
sitting so long , i can not turn the engine over at this point. I do not have a lot of money to put into this project , a few grand at most . what would be a recommendation at this point. thank you rockypond

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here in Europe, most parts for the marine B30 Volvo are still available, but from an aftermarket manufacturer.

Check out this site.
www.drevdelar.se - l?tens mek volvo penta penta volvo penta drev pentadrev drev aq2

It is only in swedish, but give it a try, they have many parts for the B30; Waterpumps(both), carb reman kits, seals/gaskets, fuel pump, complete exhaust system etc....

I can't tell you how much you need for rebuilding 2x B30, but it's gonna ad up...........

But I can tell you that if they are raw water cooled, it's probably not worth the effort and money spent. These engines are old, and probably very rusty inside. A thorough inspection can give you a clue. Even though they don't have many hours on them, they are rusty because of their age and if they have not been well maintained.

The best thing to do, in my opinion, would be to sell the engines and find a pair of secondhand 4.3 V6 engines in good condition. But it's not an easy task before they are running in the boat. You will need to re-do the motormounts, find two bell-housings that can accomodate the large V6 flywheel(the old V8 bellhousings for Volvo drives are too small), V8 exhaust horn, larger propellers, various bits and pieces, the list goes on.

The ratio in the outdrive (1.89:1) was actually delivered with the Volvo 430 (4.3 175 hp, 2 barrel carb) so it woun't do any harm to use them as they are, I think, then at least you are on the water, but you probably need larger propellers. Over time you can decide and save up for a pair of lowerunits with 1.61:1 ratio, which was the ratio for 4 barre carb engines, if thats what you end up with.

Regarding performance of the B30. It's a fine running simple engine that will last a long time, if cared just a little for. But it doesn't have much torque, and it is quite thirsty, so if your boat is 30 feet or above, it's not going to fly out of the water.

I don't know if this was usefull, but be carefull, before starting to throw money into 35 year old raw water cooled engines.