AQ260 Wont Start

SleekCraft85

Cadet
***EDIT ADDED NEW PIC OF ACTUAL STARTER***

starter.jpg

Engine (VP 260aq) originally cut out on my 100 ft away from shore upon taking it out. I would start it and it would run and cut out. After 3 more starts in ran fine and I continued to the sand bar. I took it out 2 more times without any issues.

During my last run I realized that my bow lights (1 month old bulbs with intact filaments) where not working (yet my rear white pole light worked). I attempted to run power from a 12 ran straight from the battery forgot to cut the wires from the boats dash/system. Due to my mistake the I inverted the +/- and turned on the light switch while running the 12 from the battery and apparently shorted the lighting system.

Once winter came and I attempted to start it on the hose but I would only get the needles on the dash gauges to move a bit. Both batteries seemed to be dead or weak so I jumped it with my truck and the motor would run for 30 secs and cut out again.

Due to school and work I gave up on the boat for a few weeks and slow charged both batteries (which were both manufactured in 2012) then reinstalled them. I would only get the needles to move a bit and would hear clicking from the starter/solenoid. I then bought and installed a new starter/solenoid, 50 amp circuit breaker, and a relay (for the relay I used a generic auto headlight 40 amp 4/5 post relay). I now have no clicking at all coming from the starter nor do the needles move on the gauges.

When removing the starter I failed to take pictures of wire locations and I cant seem to find where to connect a black cable (ground I assume) that is similar in girth to the red one that goes on the top post terminal that I connected to the engine as a ground since I didn’t know what to hook it up to. I also have a purple cable that I assume goes to the outer terminal (like the one shown in the image attached which is not mine and I took from another thread in which the owner realized it was it was not a marine starter).

Assuming the starter solenoid in the image were marine would the purple wire go attached to the terminal post the cap
holding screw is?

Where does the thick black wire go?

Can it be a bad ignition?

Do the VP starter relays have different terminal locations from a regular relay?

I’m eager to get the motor to crank as I don’t want it to seize up on me from sitting (As it has been sitting for 2 months)

Thanks a million in advance and happy holidays to all :)

Miragestarter.jpg

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: AQ260 Wont Start

1. Your bow light problem has nothing to do with your engine problems. Best to post that problem over in the electrical forum.

2. That starter is not marine. marine starters are shielded inside (like other marine electrical items) to prevent sparks from igniting any gas/gas fumes that may have accumulated in the bilge due to a leak. A marine starter also had the terminal for that loose wire you have, it's not used on automotive starters.

3. The ground cable normally attaches to a stud that replaces one of the bolts on the flywheel cover of the engine. Without that ground cable, nothing will work.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Profile,location? Year,pics?
You might be close to someone who can help.
Load test the batteries?
Your charger might not be putting out the necessary voltage.
I had one that acted like it was working??? but wasn't putting out the amperage.
Shouldn't sieze up after only 2 mo.
Since the starter and solenoid look new?? make sure the connections are tight.
The ground wires on the battery and motor tight.
Starter bolts tight.
Get the right marine starter in there.It might cost a bit more but it won't go BOOM when you have gas in the bildge.
As far as running and cutting out and restarting?
You need to check the water/fuel filters for water.
Still have the original distributor? It could be it needs a new points/cond?
The black lead is a ground lead on the right solenoid.

SleekCraft85

Cadet

sorry if the original post was confusing. i stated that the starter was not mine and taken from another thread. i now i went ahead and added an picture to the original post as well as this one of my actual starter and went ahead and put circles of where the colored wires are currently connected.

the yellow/red wire is circled yellow and connected to the right post
the 2 big red are circled red and connected to the top post (i am aware that the red one is not properly connected i just put it there to show where i had it connected)
the purple wire is circled purple and connected to the left post
and the thick black cable is circled black and currently bolted up to the side of the block

can you please guide me as to where the cables go properly connected?

thanks

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 0

Don S

The wire you have circled black and bolted to the block, is probably not a ground. As I recall, the 4 wires coming out of that main harness is the purple, yellow, red from the alternator, and red to the main circuit breaker.
Might want to trace that black wire, bet it's red under the black cover (heatshrink). Probably goes to the circuit breaker or alternator.

SleekCraft85

Cadet

The wire you have circled black and bolted to the block, is probably not a ground. As I recall, the 4 wires coming out of that main harness is the purple, yellow, red from the alternator, and red to the main circuit breaker.
Might want to trace that black wire, bet it's red under the black cover (heatshrink). Probably goes to the circuit breaker or alternator.

if what you are saying is true then the black heatshrinked one that i currently have on the block should then go on the top + post terminal?

Don S

Yes, it would hook to the main solenoid terminal (big one), but check it out first and find what it's hooked to. If it is a ground (which I doubt) and you hooked it directly to the starter terminal, it would be a dead short and melt things, or worse.

SleekCraft85

Cadet

Yes, it would hook to the main solenoid terminal (big one), but check it out first and find what it's hooked to. If it is a ground (which I doubt) and you hooked it directly to the starter terminal, it would be a dead short and melt things, or worse.

thanks don. it was for the top + post

my new problem is that the gear on the starter seems to be larger than the oem volvo starters gear. this difference in diameter is causing the starter to hit the side of the flywheel rather than engaging it. iv been reading and it appears that adding a 1/4" worth of shims will do the job (as per these threads). does this make any sense?

5 shims to get starter to stop grinding - Third Generation F-Body Message Boards

Starter shims - how many is too many? [Archive] - Chevelle Tech